cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should you back up your content to Dropbox?

Should you back up your content to Dropbox?

qapnguyen
New member | Level 2

I wanted to ask as long time Dropbox user. Is it advisable to back up Dropbox or nothing to worry about?

i.e. I've read of a story where someone's dropbox client crashed years ago then losing some photos.

I've thought about using additional backup service that covers Dropbox folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Should you back up Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@qapnguyen wrote:

I wanted to ask as long time Dropbox user. Is it advisable to back up Dropbox or nothing to worry about?

How important is your data? If it's not important, then neither are backups. If it's important to you, then do you really want to trust that nothing can happen, ever? And this goes for any service; not just Dropbox. While Dropbox provides 30 days of recovery, what happens if you don't notice a file missing for a lot time, or you're hit with ransomware, or... or... things happen.

When it comes to your important data, it's best to follow the 3-2-1 rule for backups. Three copies of your data, stored on two different types of media, with one of those stored in a different location.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Should you back up Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@qapnguyen wrote:

How important is your data? If it's not important, then neither are backups. If it's important to you, then do you really want to trust that nothing can happen, ever? And this goes for any service; not just Dropbox. While Dropbox provides 30 days of recovery, what happens if you don't notice a file missing for a lot time, or you're hit with ransomware, or... or... things happen.

When it comes to your important data, it's best to follow the 3-2-1 rule for backups. Three copies of your data, stored on two different types of media, with one of those stored in a different location.

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?