cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Backup on Linux -- Problems getting it set up

Dropbox Backup on Linux -- Problems getting it set up

Walter_E
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a working subscription to Dropbox Plus on a computer with a Linux OS.  I am having trouble getting "Dropbox Backup" set up. Here is what I have done so far:

1.  Clicked link "Try Dropbox Backup", then opened Dropbox desktop app. Can't see anything there about Backup.
    Details: On the online Dropbox Backup page, I click on "Try Dropbox Backup". That opened a window saying "Opening the Dropbox desktop app". But since nothing new opened, I manually opened the desktop app (by clicking on the dropbox icon in the system tray). However, Backup is not among the listed options. Nor is Backup listed the options within Dropbox Preferences.

2. I tried updating my Dropbox desktop app.
    Details: Dropbox mentions that "You'll need the latest version of Dropbox for desktop. (This is on the page that says "Opening the Dropbox desktop app".  So I tried to update to the latest version. I downloaded the installation package dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb from the Dropbox website and attempted to install this. The installer said "Same version is already installed." Yet when I then checked the version number of the Dropbox app (in my system tray), it says it's version v149.4.4568.  I was confused by that. Does package dropbox_202.0.3.04_amd64.deb install version v149.4.4568?

3. Repeated step 1 above, with the same result.

So I've hit a brick wall. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide.

-- Walter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Walter_E,

As far as I know Dropbox Backup is NOT supported on Linux. That's not so bad thing cosa this feature is not very well implemented in general. You can  achieve the same, as move desired folder within Dropbox folder (or it's subfolder) and set link pointing to the folder on it's new place and residing on former place (typically your home folder). You may want to change your user setting related to folders like Documents, Downloads, etc.

Take in mind that the DEB file doesn't install actual application! Only Nautilus plugin and control script get installed. On first try to run, the control script figure out that application is missing and download it. That's why they have different versions.

Hope this clarifies matter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Walter_E,

As far as I know Dropbox Backup is NOT supported on Linux. That's not so bad thing cosa this feature is not very well implemented in general. You can  achieve the same, as move desired folder within Dropbox folder (or it's subfolder) and set link pointing to the folder on it's new place and residing on former place (typically your home folder). You may want to change your user setting related to folders like Documents, Downloads, etc.

Take in mind that the DEB file doesn't install actual application! Only Nautilus plugin and control script get installed. On first try to run, the control script figure out that application is missing and download it. That's why they have different versions.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Walter_E
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you. That is very helpful. I will follow your suggestion. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter_E New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?