cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get the Dropbox dialogue to back up an external drive to reappear?

Stephen d.8
Helpful | Level 5
I don’t know if Rich can answer tgat, but I can. I should certainly work for Pro accounts, that’s what I have, and it used to work for external drives, (before I encountered the problems above. )

shinbeth
Collaborator | Level 9

@Stephen d.8 okay thanks that's good to know.

Aubs
Helpful | Level 5

OMG!! The mysterious prompt asking if I wanted to backup my external hard drive has just reappeared after a 3 or 4 month absence!

I didn't do anything to prompt it. All the previous suggestions to encourage the prompt to reappear didn't work. It seems maybe after certain amount of time passes, the prompt reappears or Dropbox servers sent it out again. I don't know, but I'm now a happy bunny!

Stephen d.8
Helpful | Level 5

How completely bizarre.

I wish someone at Dropbox understood the mysteries of how their software behaves!

Stephen d.8
Helpful | Level 5

Oh, apparently I've "earned a new badge", I'd far rather have an explanation than a badge TBH.

GreatLand1959
Helpful | Level 5
Stephen d.8
Did you ever figure this out? I just did so if you still need the answer,  let me know.

shinbeth
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi @Rich 

Okay I got myself a big 12 TB WD Black Drive (https://www.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/wd-black-d10-game-drive-for-xbox-usb-3-2-hdd...) to make a secondary backup of my data (using a Macbook M1 2020). I formatted the disk in two partitions: one of 10 TB for my data, 2 TB for my Time Machine backups in Monterey.

Everything works fine and Dropbox always prompts to ask if I want to backup my data - but I said 'no' so far.

1. My first question I'm surprised (in a good way) that it's prompting because Dropbox External Drive Sync only works with APFS partitions on Mac, correct? So if I say yes, it's just not gonna work, correct? So how come Dropbox can detect non-APFS drives? Just curious here.

2. I'm also surprised (in a good way) that it prompts to backup the Time Machine partition - if I had a SSD/APFS drive, would Time Machine backup drive be backed up by Dropbox? And would this work if I wanted one day to retrieve my Time Machine back to a new Macbook, through syncing another SSD/APFS drive from Dropbox onto this new Macbook? Have you ever done this? Are Time Machine backups files formatted in a certain way, are they just like any other storage files? Just curious here too.

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 11.24.37.png

Thanks.

GreatLand1959
Helpful | Level 5
Unfortunately, with far too many tech companies, if it’s not in the script of predefined problems or solutions, it’s either not believed to be a real problem, or it’s just blamed on the user.

Thundersan
New member | Level 2

Hey GreatLand1959, could you tell me how you solved this problem? I am currently having the same issue.

Stephen d.8
Helpful | Level 5
Yes please, can you post it on here? That way it will help others facing the same mystery- and the Dropbox help crew who don’t seem to quite understand how it works.
Oddly, just this week I put a USB stick in my MacBook Pro, and up came the option. Didn’t want it for that stick! Perhaps it has AI built in and only offers the option when you don’t need it!
Thanks
Stephen
Need more support?