cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submenus on Dropbox application are not working under KDE/Linux.

Submenus on Dropbox application are not working under KDE/Linux.

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello,

I'm having a problem with submenus on the Dropbox application's submenus on KDE based systems.

I personally use two Debian bookworm installations. One is running XFCE4, and the other is running KDE as their desktop applications. When I right click to the Dropbox application's tray icon, the menu opens as usual. On the KDE system, the submenus for "Snooze notifications" and "Recently changed files" refuse to open. On the XFCE4 system, they work as expected.

This issue is going on for at least a year as of today, so it's not limited to Debian Bookworm release.

Any help will be greatly apprecialted.

Cheers,

H.

17 Replies 17

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Hakan B., let's see what we can find on this together!

Have you checked that the device facing this matches all the criteria as mentioned here? Can you also give me some more details about the device's specifics?

It'd be of great help if you could send any screenshots demonstrating what you just mentioned, so I can have a clear visual of this too.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello @Megan,

Sorry for the late reply. Here's a rundown of the checklist:

• Ubuntu 14.04 or later: Running Debian 11+, which is way newer, and is the foundation for Ubuntu itself.
  • Glibc 2.19 or later: Running on Glibc 2.33.
  • The latest Dropbox app for Linux: Running v146.3.4795, which is pretty recent if not latest, and the problem is persistent for some time.
  • Running on ext4 filesystem (both the daemon and the stored files are on ext4 disks)
  • I'm running KDE, however:
    • GTK 2.24, GLib 2.72, Libappindicator is present.

I'm running both KDE and Dropbox for a very long time (more than a decade), however this problem was not present back then. The situation can be seen from the screenshot below:

Account name is masked for privacy reasons.Account name is masked for privacy reasons.

Neither Recently Changed Files, nor Snooze Notifications menus present their submenus. Waiting, clicking, double clicking, etc. doesn't produce the submenus that should be present. Other than that Dropbox is working as it should.

Thanks for help again,

Cheers,

H.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Hakan B., sorry to jump in here, but it seems that you're running a beta version of our desktop app. Could you see if the issue persists with our latest, stable version found on this page?

Just make sure to toggle off the 'early releases' from your account's settings before moving forward with the reinstall. 

If the issue persists, you can try using one of the supported desktop environments. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello @Walter,

Thanks for joining the conversation. I've enabled early releases to get Apple Silicon native builds with new Smart Sync machinery on my MacBook Air M1. On the other hand, I can verify that the issue is not present on a system running XFCE desktop environment I use daily, even with early releases enabled. I'm syncing quite a few systems with my Dropbox account, as you can see.

The problem on KDE is a long living one, present well before I enabled early releases, and worse, it was working before. Both the XFCE and KDE workstations are Debian 11+ systems, running at the very same patch level, almost with same packages. Moreover, at least some parts of the Dropbox application is written with Qt, and KDE is the flagship Qt environment under Linux. As a computer scientist and developer, I find existence of this problem intriguing.

I'll try disabling early releases to test the latest general availability release, but the solution of "just using another DE" is a bit heartbreaking to be honest. Suggestion of binning a decade old installation which contains a lot of personalized workflows and customizations just because a Qt application cannot work under Qt is a bit strange.

On the more technical side, looks like the problem is in system tray integration, because the system tray icon looks different in KDE and XFCE. I'd rather debug the problem with your support rather than changing my favorite DE of 10 years with something completely different.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Let me know if the issue persists with the latest stable version of the desktop app and we'll take it from there @Hakan B. 

Thanks for the detailed report by the way. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello @Walter,

Thanks for your answer, and you're most definitely welcome. I've just downgraded to 145.4.4921, and the problem still persists. The visual is still valid and completely same, so I didn't upload a new screenshot.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @Hakan B. 

Since this persist on the stable version of the app as well, would it be OK if I send you an email to have a further look into this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello @Walter,

Of course. It's definitely OK.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your cooperation, Hakan - you've got :envelope:

While I can't make any promises since this is not a supported environment, I'll be more than happy to forward this to our experts for a further review. 

Whenever you get the chance, please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    WildPenguin Explorer | Level 4
    vjchoe Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?