cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embed Video Into Webpage

Embed Video Into Webpage

Pat Sheehan
Explorer | Level 4

Is the last few years of embedding Dropbox videos into a web page a thing of the past? Was there a recent update - maybe within the last few days?

Embedded videos suddenly stopped working and the latest "tip and trick" is from 2017 which isn't useful.

12 Replies 12

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Pat Sheehan wrote:

Embedded videos suddenly stopped working and the latest "tip and trick" is from 2017 which isn't useful.

Hi @Pat Sheehan,

What you mean with "Embedded"? 🧐 Do you use embedder or direct raw link? I just checked and embedder works as usual. If you use raw links to embed your content, the wrong thing is not at your side, it's at Dropbox side. There is a bug when Ranges are used with any type of request (web browsers use them a lot) - content type is wrong declared and that's why browser gets confused. Let's hope this bug will be fixed soon.

Hope this clarifies matter.

jvahle
New member | Level 2

Same thing here, all my videos stopped working as of today.

Pat Sheehan
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply. Good to know.

Am not using a content management system. Website is updated using Dreamweaver.

I thought it might be a browser issue initially. Was using Opera, then checked with Chrome browser and the result with Chrome browser was some worked and some didn't. Then nothing worked. Did a cache and registry check/clean. Didn't help. Used a different computer - same issue. 

This is the video code that's been embedded into my webpages  for years:

<div class="fluid header">
<video width="1280" height="720" title="Laxemedia.com" poster="" autoplay controls loop>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xxrdnssnfl85aho/roll-video-eng.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Was NOT using the type="video/mp4?dl=0 or the type="video/mp4?raw=1 code after video/mp4 as some have mentioned but did try it but no luck there either.

Also tried using <source src="https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxrdnssnfl85aho/roll-video-eng.mp4" type="video/mp4">  Didn't work either.

Pat Sheehan
Explorer | Level 4

Video code embedded into webpage. No CMS widgets. Using Dreamweaver for updates.

This is the video code that's been embedded into my webpages  for years. All Dropbox hosted videos affected.

<div class="fluid header">
<video width="1280" height="720" title="Laxemedia.com" poster="" autoplay controls loop>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xxrdnssnfl85aho/roll-video-eng.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Was NOT using the type="video/mp4?dl=0 or the type="video/mp4?raw=1 code after video/mp4 as some have mentioned but did try it but no luck there either.

Also tried using <source src="https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxrdnssnfl85aho/roll-video-eng.mp4" type="video/mp4">  Didn't work either.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Pat Sheehan wrote:

I thought it might be a browser issue initially. ...

No, no, no... definitely no. Range download mode is something standard and widely used. It's the way to consume video (and not only) stream as needed (no need to download everything at once). It's the way every browser is using (or most of them, at least). If the video file is too small - ~100kB (i.e. downloaded in one step), it's still possible to work (before fixing the bug). Otherwise you can't do anything, more than move to embedder temporary. It's Dropbox' server bug.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

By the way, I just checked and seems to be fixed already. Do you see that issue still?

Pat Sheehan
Explorer | Level 4

Wow, just checked and looks like things are back to normal.

Thank you...

Pat Sheehan
Explorer | Level 4

Wait... Seems to be off and on. Now off again

JDLintz
New member | Level 2

This seems to be an issue again today.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    europe89 New member | Level 2