cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete Dropbox files off of your mobile devices

How to delete Dropbox files off of your mobile devices

Alex
Dropbox Staff
Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 16.28.06.png
As the weather gets warmer, no one wants to be stuck inside at a desk all day, so using Dropbox on your mobile devices can keep you in the loop, and in the sun. Access your files from anywhere with the Dropbox mobile app, and never miss a beat. 

One of the things that can help to keep your mobile device healthy, is to make sure you only keep the files you need to, and a little spring cleaning can help. Keep your files and folders neat, tidy and efficient. 

Leave the folders you don’t need to be a part of: 

We recently shared some info on leaving folders you don’t need to be in anymore, and you can check it out here but the main thing to know, is it’s easy and you can delete files temporarily too. But the main thing is to make sure that the files and folders in your Dropbox account are the ones you need access to, and that they are organized how you like. 

What’s in a name:

If your screen is small, and you need to access a specific folder, you don’t want to be scrolling for what feels like hours, so it might make sense to star your favourite files, or to ensure you name the efficiently for what you need, especially while you’re using a mobile device. I personally name my files specifically for alphabetical ordering reasons. A big project might suddenly be renamed ‘Acorn agenda: Project plan’ to make sure I can find it fast, because otherwise I end up starring everything! 

And what about star power? 

And when it comes to starring files, it can be so handy for your top favorites but much like a highlighter, if you star everything, you’ve essentially starred nothing. Your starred files and folders appear in the Dropbox mobile app Home screen in the Starred tab, so star carefully and you can find files quickly every time 🙂

File size matters:

If you really want to be cut throat about how to manage the space on your mobile devices, you can review your files by size and look at offloading some of the bigger ones. You can also switch some of those files to online-only, and free up some space on your mobile devices too 🙂

Check out how to manage your online-only files here

How to delete files from Dropbox Mobile: 

Well, once you’re sure you want a file gone, here are the steps to follow: 

1. Open the Dropbox mobile app.
  2. Tap the “⁝” (vertical ellipsis on Android) or (ellipsis on iPhone/iPad) next to the file or folder you’d like to delete.
  3. Tap Delete.
If you want to learn a few more tips on keeping your Dropbox Basic account running like a dream, we’ve got you covered
0 Replies 0
Need more support?