cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync ETA and incoming syncs feature removed by Dropbox - Any workarounds to make the app usable?

Sync ETA and incoming syncs feature removed by Dropbox - Any workarounds to make the app usable?

TinySquid
Explorer | Level 3

Keen to hear any tips/tricks/workarounds to make Dropbox usable again after all the recent downgrades:

Someone at Dropbox finally confrimed that the ETA on sync files has been intentionally removed from the service. Incoming syncs also disappeared entirely last year. So the desktop app is now just an events list of outgoing files and only live info is a vague visual progeress bar. What a downgrade!

The app was always a bit quirky and vague but with these core features removed, I'm trying to figure out how to actually share anything in an active work environment. Made feature requests of course, but since support tickets only get cut-n-paste responses and the core features were apparently removed intentionally, I'm guessing Dropbox isn't planning  to bring back full service any time soon.

Wondered if anyone in the community has any workarounds to make Dropbox usable again: Maybe plugins, 3rd party tools, or ways to get the previous UI+features back?

Alternatively, curious to hear: How do you use Dropbox without being able to see incoming syncs and ETAs?

Naturally, now looking into moving to another platform but some clients will innevitably stick with Dropbox out of familiarity so I hope to find a way to keep it as a workable option.

Thanks kindly!

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @TinySquid, I hope you're doing well!

Your feedback regarding our desktop application and syncing time has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

We listen to your needs because it allows us to fully appreciate how Dropbox fits into and influences your daily routine.

If you're facing any issues other than the ETA, or came across something that you'd like to know more of how it works, or even if you have more comments about our app, let me know, and I'll be happy to chime in.

In any case, I'll leave this thread open, in order for other Community users to jump in here, and share their thoughts, and tips with you.

If you need something else, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help every step of the way!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TinySquid
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response Megan! Really appreciate staff chiming in.

In case it helps with internal discussions about the recent downgrades: I found a lively thread about this same issue back in 2019. The last time Dropbox tried removing ETAs the users nearly revolted and were very glad that Dropbox responded by reinstating the feature.

Maybe good to reference that the same situation happened in 2019 as precident to convince whoever slipped up this time that they might want to consider rolling back the decision. It's pretty clear users want/need and have always wanted/needed to see file sync ETA: unless there's been an unprecedented shift in user behavior, removing the feature is likely to be a widespread problem for a lot of customers.

For additional context:

There's a compound problem with the 2 removed features I mentioned in my post:

Most common scenario: Sending a client a file

The client asks when they will receive it and we need to give them a rough ETA.

Problem 1: With no ETA displayed by Dropbox, we have no data to offer = we look bad and Dropbox looks unreliable to both parties.

Problem 2: Even if the client has access to see the synced folder at their end, now that incoming syncs are no longer displayed at all, any client that might have been savvy enough to check the eta at their end now can't, which means more clients ask the sender for ETAs and Problem 1 is now multiplied!

All of us suffer, including Dropbox!

I respect that perhaps my use is more specialized than I think or maybe I'm overlooking a major use case and I appreciate for people just backing up family photos in the background the lack of features is no issue. But in the context of regulalrly sharing files with others in a live "real world" environment, removing those features just feels a tad oversight-ish.

Naturally change takes time.

But with the 2019 situation a precedencet, do we stand any chance of similarly getting service back this year?

Thanks kindly for your advice

Rich
Super User II

@TinySquid wrote:

How do you use Dropbox without being able to see incoming syncs and ETAs?

I just let Dropbox do its thing and don't worry about how long files take to sync, unless, of course, it's taking an exceptionally long time and there's an obvious problem, which has happened just once in the last 15 years that I've been using Dropbox.

TinySquid
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply Rich. Glad there are a few users out there that have a smooth Dropbox experience.

My experience has been quiet different with frequent dropbox issues: I've learned to work around them, but the features they've recently removed were not only essential in day-to-day use, but the key to diagnosing problems like the one you observed, syncs taking unusually long time etc. 

Really hoping they bring back full functionality again soon so all customers can have a smooth Dropbox experience.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TinySquid Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?