cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot uncheck Read-Only checkbox for my Dropbox folder (Jupyter Notebooks Can't Save)

Cannot uncheck Read-Only checkbox for my Dropbox folder (Jupyter Notebooks Can't Save)

starplatinum87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

Platform: PC Windows 10

When I attempt to uncheck the "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)" box under the Properties of my Drobox folder on my PC, after I apply the change and then check the Properties again the box is again checked. It is like it immediately ignored me unchecking the box and applying the change. Any idea why this is and how I might fix it? 

This is a problem in particular for Jupyter notebooks. When I attempt to save changes to the notebook Jupyter throws an error saying: 

"Permission denied: Dropbox/Python/.../Week+2_TR.ipynb"

When I pull any of the files from Dropbox to my desktop they save fine. It's only on when I try to save a notebook within the Dropbox folder structure that I get the error.

I have attempted running Jupyter as Administrator and that doesn't help. 

Interestingly this problem does not occur with Google Drive. I can save to that folder without issue. This only happens with Dropbox. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello again, I’m just circling back here to keep the thread updated with the troubleshooting steps that fixed the issue for you starplatinum87 for anyone else experiencing the same behavior in the future! 

To proceed with that, you may try re-installing our desktop app anew, that’ll probably fix incorrectly set permissions. Before doing so, you’d better disable any Security/Antivirus programs may be running in the background & give our offline installer a try from the link below: 

Cheers! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Weird one.

Have you tried closing Dropbox and then trying to change the preferences before restarting Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

starplatinum87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello! Just gave what you suggested a try. Killed the main app and all tasks, unchecked the box, applied the change, restarted. Same result unfortunately. It just will not accept the box being unchecked it seems. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey starplatinum87, that’s a very interesting behavior & I’d happily put that to the attention of a specialized team member!

In order to further advise how to best resolve the syncing issue you’ve described, I’d suggest continuing this discussion via email & for that reason I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf (gathering all info you’ve included in your previous post here). 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you.

Thanks for reaching out on the Community on this question & I’ll be awaiting your next message, so as to move forward on the matter together!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello again, I’m just circling back here to keep the thread updated with the troubleshooting steps that fixed the issue for you starplatinum87 for anyone else experiencing the same behavior in the future! 

To proceed with that, you may try re-installing our desktop app anew, that’ll probably fix incorrectly set permissions. Before doing so, you’d better disable any Security/Antivirus programs may be running in the background & give our offline installer a try from the link below: 

Cheers! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    starplatinum87 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?