cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error when importing .MOV file from DropBox in Adobe apps

Error when importing .MOV file from DropBox in Adobe apps

Nishukush
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

I am a Adobe After Effects user.

I keep my files synced to DropBox. Frequently, I get an issue where, when I try to open a project, After Effects should import all the media files linked to the project. But instead, it shows an error "After Effects error: could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions." And it happens only with the MOV files saved in the DropBox folder (offline). If I change the file's name or its location (within or outside DropBox), After Effects can read the file fine.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,

Nishu

30 Replies 30

aecemat
Helpful | Level 5

Is there any updates on this?  I'm having the same problem with Dropbox and After effects.
Here's a quick summary: 
MacOS Sonoma 14.1
Adobe After Effects 24.0.1
I'm not using File Provider - Dropbox file path is in users. (seems like I'm not eligible for FP and I'd rather not do that now since it requires to move all the files to a different location, which will cause a whole lot of missing footage)
I've fixed permissions and hardlinks.
I've given full disk access to Dropbox.
I've cleared cache and restarted the DB app and the computer multiple times. 
All the missing footage is available offline and green.
---These are all the solutions I could find online. Tried them and they don't work for me. 

The only way to workaround this problem is highly unsustainable for me and my team:
It works when I duplicate and rename the file, then import it separately, then replace the layer inside AE.
Or when I collect the files on After effects (which will duplicate all the assets on a separate location and result in an unnecessary folder size)
But we're collaborating as a team on many project files with a huge number of assets and this workaround is impossible for us to do on a daily basis. 

From what I've read online, this is a Dropbox issue rather than an After Effects issue. And I need this to be solved immediately so that we can continue our way of working. 
Thanks in advance.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @aecemat, I hope you're doing well!

My first thought, is that this might be related to After Effects, but I'm here in order to do some troubleshooting along with you. 

I'd love to know the version of the app that you're using on your end.

You can find it by locating your Dropbox icon on the menu bar, next to your WiFi and hovering your mouse there. 

Also, if you quit the Dropbox app, and then try to import the connect, does that give you any errors? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aecemat
Helpful | Level 5

Hello @Megan Thanks for your prompt response. 
My version of Dropbox is v194.4.6267 
Also about your suggestion to quit DB and try again- yes I've tried that and unfortunately still no good. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @aecemat, it might be best to contact the support team via email directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail on their end.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PARTNER
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay @Walter @Megan This is killing me and my team as well. Exact same issues. I've tried everything outlined in this thread to no avail. 

Sonoma 14.4
Dropbox 159.3 (in user folder, NOT file provider)
Adobe After Effects 24.2.1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @PARTNER, have you contacted the support team via email?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PARTNER
Helpful | Level 6
Yes, but have yet to reach a solution

Jay
Dropbox Staff

In that case, it would be best to continue your troubleshooting with them, since they can investigate more details than we are able to over the Community.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

aecemat
Helpful | Level 5

Hey! I've got an update on this actually! I've contacted the Adobe support and they suggested it might be an issue due to the AE version. Now I open the project file with the Beta version and it works well ðŸ˜Š Normally I don't use Beta on a daily basis but right now it's the only solution until this error can be fixed permanently with a future update. Hope it helps you too!

pavelas
Helpful | Level 5
Good to know, thanks for the update @aecemat So it should be fixed with the next version of AE, hopefully.
Need more support?