cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail routing to @addtodropbox.com address

Gmail routing to @addtodropbox.com address

Liam Moy
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

The "Email to my Dropbox" account feature provides an email address that is SOME.RANDOM.STRING.OF.WORDS [at] ADDTODROPBOX.COM, and attachments emailed to that address are placed in the specified Email Attachments folder.

In Google Workspace, I've created a Gmail routing rule to route emails sent to an address at my custom domain (e.g. DROPBOX [at] MYDOMAIN.COM) to my [at] ADDTODROPBOX.COM address so that I can give people a more memorable address. According to the email trace logs, emails sent to this DROPBOX [at] MYDOMAIN.COM  address are 'successfully' routed by Google to the inbound Dropbox SMTP server hosted by AWS and are accepted by this Dropbox server (ie they don't bounce back to Google) but the attachment isn't placed in my Dropbox folder, i.e. the method just fails quietly. Perhaps it is being filtered by a spam filter?

I have raised this issue with Google Workspace technical support and have been told that everything is fine on the Google side of things and that I should raise this issue with Dropbox.

Has anyone successfully implemented this sort of thing? With 700 million Dropbox users and 1.5 billion Gmail users I assume that someone has, as it's a pretty 'normal' sort of thing to want to do. Any insight is much appreciated.

Cheers

Liam

5 Replies 5

Forum post inexplicably deleted?

Liam Moy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I posted a question on the community forum about a technical issue with forwarding emails to @addtodropbox.com via Gmail Admin mail routing, and it appears to have been deleted? I raised the issue with Google Workspace technical support and was told to ask Dropbox.

The post no longer seems to exist. There is no post history in my forum account and yet I have the Conversation Starter badge.

Did this question breach any sort of rule? I want to know why the post was deleted before I post the same question again. Thanks.

Re: Forum post inexplicably deleted?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Liam Moy, thanks for joining the Community!

I've located your older post and restored it to the forum.

Regarding your query, does the email link @addtodropbox.com work normally when you emails it directly, instead of via the Gmail routing?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Liam Moy
Explorer | Level 3
Hi @Jay

Thanks for looking at this.

Yes, the ADDTODROPBOX.COM address works when mailing it directly. The attachments are added to the folder. I've tried using two different email accounts and from both it works directly but not when routed.

Google Workspaces technical support confirms that the routing is working correctly, I have it routing to both the ADDTODROPBOX.COM address and an address where I can receive mail and it is delivered to the latter with the attachment.

I've looked at the email trace logs in Gmail Admin and everything is fine, there's just something breaking down between the ADDTODROPBOX.COM inbound SMTP server and the Dropbox folder.

Cheers

Liam

Jay
Dropboxer
Since the email link works when directly emailed, there isn't much we can suggest on this matter. 

Any other method apart from a direct email to the email address with the attachments wouldn't be supported by Dropbox.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Liam Moy
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay

Thanks for your reply. It's fine that you don't want to support this specific use case but I think it's still worth logging it as a low priority issue with the engineering team as there is still something that's preventing those emails from being parsed properly and that 'something' would also affect direct emails with certain characteristics.

One possibility is that it filters as spam emails that are sent with Gmail's "via" recipient where the receiver can't 100% verify that the email is from the purported sender. This same hypothetical issue would also filter direct emails sent from some alias accounts.

I think both types of issue would be resolved by allowing the user some control over a whitelist of accepted recipients.

This issue is something that I need to continue testing for my own purposes so as to get more specificity about the circumstances in which the bug is reproduced and I'm happy to share that information via your issue tracking system, or not, I don't really mind either way.

Cheers

Liam
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Liam Moy Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?