cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Conflict between Dropbox and Adobe Lightroom Classic

Possible Conflict between Dropbox and Adobe Lightroom Classic

oilemgolem
Explorer | Level 3

I have used Dropbox and Adobe Lightroom for years without any apparent conflict.  Suddenly, Lightroom would not launch- despite several different tries and after restarts.  I contacted Adobe Lightroom support and they did much exploration of items on my computer (iMac with MacOS vers 11.6) without success.  I quote their follow-up e-mail:

"Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Our conversation ended before we were able to reach a resolution. We are following up to let you know we left your case open.

As discussed it might be permission issue as Pictures folder is required by Lightroom Classic to save all its custom and default settings .So its not recommended to be saved under dropbox( network drive) as its not reliable it may work and may gives trouble .

Also we need to give permission of Read and Write to system Library and Pictures folder. so would suggest to contact apple support to have proper way to remove pictures folder along with it settings and folder outside the dropbox and to have permissions to the system Library as well."

Has the Dropbox community encountered this problem?  If so, how was it resolved?

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @oilemgolem, how's your Monday so far? 

It sounds like this is more of an Adobe issue than a Dropbox issue since it has to do with how they handle their permissions. 

However, it sounds like you might have enabled our computer backup feature. 

That could be what's causing the symptoms you've described. If you wish to disable it, you can find the steps to do so in this Help Center article. 

If you have any other questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

oilemgolem
Explorer | Level 3
My reply to Adobe customer service:
I believe my problem with launching the Lightroom Classic (LRC) app has been resolved.  Your suggestion regarding a possible Dropbox conflict, prompted me to consult the Dropbox community regarding the  problem.  A Dropbox tech referred me to the Dropbox “Manage Backups” protocol within Dropbox Preferences.  On reviewing the related material, I came upon a notice regarding a possible conflict with  Adobe Lightroom and a folder with the name “Library” having a red dot on its folder icon.  I found no such folder in my Dropbox folder or elsewhere.  What I did however, was to deselect the Pictures folder in the Dropbox backup list shown in the Dropbox Preferences Backup Management protocol.  Then I restarted the iMac and in the MacOS Finder, I navigated directly to the most recent LRC catalog file and successfuly launched LRC.
This may have been the cure, I can’t be sure but you did mention during our chat that LRC used the Pictures folder for some vital items.
What I conclude from all this is the following:
  1. There are sensitive issues between LRC and Dropbox, perhaps unresolved.
  2. If there is a conflict, preventing LRC from launching, it would be helpful for LRC not  to just quit but to present an error message/code so that the problem could be more directly addressed.
  3. Both Adobe and Dropbox customer services were very helpful and sensitive to my problem.
Again, thanx for your help, have a  Happy and Healthy New Year.

Al Creemer
[email removed as per Community Guidelines] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On Dec 27, 2021, at 12:36 PM, Adobe Customer Care <customercare-chatsupport@adobe.com> wrote:

Your Adobe Case ADB-22593297-T6G7
Dear Al,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Our conversation ended before we were able to reach a resolution. We are following up to let you know we left your case open. 

As discussed it might be permission issue as Pictures folder is required by Lightroom Classic to save all its custom and default settings .So its not recommended to be saved under dropbox( network drive) as its not reliable it may work and may gives trouble .
Also we need to give permission of Read and Write to system Library and Pictures folder. so would suggest to contact apple support to have proper way to remove pictures folder along with it settings and folder outside the dropbox and to have permissions to the system Library as well.

After giving permissions to both the above mentioned folder you need to uninstall Lightroom Classic and then  you need to run the cleaner tool from the link below :-
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

then restart the system and re-install Creative cloud app from the link below :- 
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

If that doesnt work we need to check in root user as well, as we got disconnected while login to root user here is the link below for your reference through which you can try to enable and login to root user :- 
https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012

after login to root user all you need to do is to launch Creative cloud app and launch Lightroom Classic within creative cloud app in the root user and check if that works.
Below s a self help article which might also be helpful in the root user account if yo uare unable to launch within Root user as well:-
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-not-launching-after-splash-screen.html

After performing all these steps and contacting apple support If you still require any assistance , you can contact us back through https://helpx.adobe.com/support/lightroom-cc.html or within the creative cloud app itself 
We will be happy to help

Thanks for working with us,  Adobe Customer Care  
For a list of support phone numbers, please visit our Contact page.

To review your case history, log in to your Adobe account. If you have difficulties logging in, consult the Adobe ID and Membership FAQ.
Follow Adobe on TwitterFacebook, and the Adobe Forums.
Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe Marketing Cloud, and the Adobe Marketing Cloud logo are either registered trademarks of Adobe in the United States and/or other countries. © 2019. Adobe. All rights reserved. To manage your email subscription settings, click here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oilemgolem Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?