cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Great and all as it is to hear how we use Dropbox, we want to know how you use it! Day to day, big projects, sharing files with friends and family - we want to know about it.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having some difficulty with third party app affecting dropbox.

having some difficulty with third party app affecting dropbox.

chesbon54
Explorer | Level 3

For several years I have edited videos in final cut pro and then shared them directly to dropbox. The size of the video is anywhere from 3 to 5 gigs.  When I share it to dropbox it usually takes about 45 minutes to upload and then I share a link with students who can then watch the video by that link. Lately, it is taking 12-14 hours to upload the video to dropbox.  It is uploading the video but it is also, in separate folders, uploading individual or groups of individual frames.  I contacted dropbox for a solution. They said that the problem was caused by a third-party app and that there was nothing wrong with my dropbox.  They suggested that I put this on the discussion board in hopes that someone could help me with this. Final Cut has gone through two updates and this problem started after these updates, I think.  Can someone please help me?  Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

Re: having some difficulty with third party app affecting dropbox.

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @chesbon54, thanks for posting to our Community! 

Can I ask if you're utilizing the Dropbox desktop application to upload files, or the website? 

Also, if you could send me some screenshots of the separate folders you see on your end, that'd be amazing. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

chesbon54
Explorer | Level 3

Lori,

Thanks for responding.  When I upload documents, I simply go to finder ( I use an iMac Apple computer) - go to the dropbox file and open it and drop the document into a file folder that I established there.  No problem. The problem comes in when I upload a final cut pro edited video.  To upload the edited video from Final Cut I simply go to share, then I share master file directly to final cut pro. Then Final Cut shares the file directly to a folder that I have created for that video.  That usually takes about 30-40 minutes to upload that sync.  Now it is taking over 14 hours and even though it eventually does upload the video there are many render files that contain clips that are being uploaded as well.  Here is an example

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 5.29.33 PM.png

Other files also contained the beginning of the file with FPC and then a bunch of numbers but those files have disappeared.

 They told me at dropbox that the problem was being caused by a 3rd party app.  But they could not identify it.  Just so you know I did delete the dropbox for my computer and reinstalled the new one as they directed me to do.  Thanks for you help in helping solve this problem.

Megan
Dropboxer
Thank you for all the details. Awesome job @chesbon54

Based on everything you've told me, it seems that this is indeed an issue caused by Final Cut, and not Dropbox.

It could be possible that they changed the way rendering works, and hence, this is the result.

Have you attempted to contact them on their end? They could possibly shine some light on this.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

chesbon54
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response, I will check with them to resolve the issue.

Megan
Dropboxer
Any time @chesbon54

If you need anything, I'll be one post away! 

Cheers. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

chesbon54
Explorer | Level 3

I edited and uploaded a video yesterday. This time and I do not know why It uploaded within 20 minutes. None of the extra files showed up as uploading frame by frame.  I did download the new version of Dropbox as I was told to do. This seemed to take care of the issue.  Thanks for your help.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

chesbon54 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?