cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open with" option missing

"Open with" option missing

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm using the Dropbox app in a Pixelbook, and until today, I used to be able to open pdf files using Xodo Docs by clicking on the three vertical dots on the right of the file names.  For some reason, the "Open with" option in the dialog has disappeared, and I have been unable to recover it. 

The dialog looks like this now: http://bit.ly/2ErF8dM

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox app, to no avail.

I have even done a factory reset of the Pixelbook, but when I log into my Google account, the setup process automatically re-installs all the apps I had in the previous iteration of Pixelbook.

This leads me to believe that my Google account has created a mirror image of the "profile" or "setting" files of the corrupted Dropbox app, reintroduces them to the machine after the factory reset.

Is there a way to remove every single file (especially profile) associated with the Dropbox app?  Uninstalling Dropbox via Play Store simply removes the app, but if I reinstall it, and open and log in to Dropbox, everything looks like before, including the "Recents" menu (with the files recently opened).  

Incidentally, this is not a specifically pdf issue.  The dialog looks the same if I try to open a *.docx file, for instance.

Thanks for your help.

32 Replies 32

greig2000uk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

recents menu doesnt work properly now either

jay h.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

"Open With" now appears in the window that opens after I tap on the three bars on the right, and if I select Open With, the file opens in my default app. I'm assuming that's the result of a Dropbox update that my Samsung tablet installed automatically. However, the "Just Once/Always" window doesn't appear, and Dropbox still doesn't honor default app the way it used to.

In the past, checking "Always" set the default for a file type--say, pdf to illustrate. After doing that, the next time, all that was necessary was to click on or tap the pdf file in Dropbox. Dropbox opened the pdf in the default app. There was no need to use the "three bar/Open With" process. 

Now, the "three bar/Open With" process is needed each time. The file will open in my default app--a two-step process, instead of a one-step process. Simply tapping the file opens it in the Dropbox viewer.

Note that, in Dropbox settings>Manage defaults, the app that I want as the default is shown. Open With launches that app. Tapping the file itself does not.

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello,

We have decided to add the "Open With" action back to the action sheet from file browse screens, and then from the preview screens on Android. This will be included within the next couple stable releases of the Dropbox mobile app that should be available within the following few of weeks.

Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Positive vibe!
Need more support?