cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about leaving Team folder

Confused about leaving Team folder

gtracey
Explorer | Level 3

I was added to a Team folder (“Wedding Ideas Photos”) by a client back in 2016, and I’m very confused about what will happen if I leave the team. 

I had asked Support about this awhile ago, but it felt too risky to leave the team since I didn’t have a clearcut answer. I’m really hoping for an answer I can feel confident in because I don’t want to risk losing files!

I had an account prior to being added to the team. I also pay for a Plus plan, and have been using this account to share files with my other design clients. 

What makes me confused is that when I’m viewing all my folders, it has the team name across the top even though those folders aren't within the team folder.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 9.59.36 AM.png

If I leave the team, will that only remove me from the team folder and remove the team name from the top of my file/folder menu? 

Or will it affect the folders I’ve created and shared with my profile, or folders that have been shared with me by others outside the team? 

Will it kick me back to a personal plan even though I’m paying for an upgraded plan?

Help please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Confused about leaving Team folder

Walter
Dropboxer
Yes, you're correct @gtracey - it looks like your team's name is Wedding Idea Photos, thus the confusion. 

If you've made sure that you can see all of your content in your account, I'd recommend leaving the team to revert your account back to a standalone account to avoid such troubles in the future. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @gtracey, thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Based on your description, it seems that you're still a member of the team account you mentioned.

In that case, you can find out more information in this Help Center article.

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

gtracey
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! That helped give me a bit more clarity and ease my mind about leaving the team.

"As a member, you can choose to leave a free team. If you leave, you lose access to shared folders and groups. If you’ve linked a personal account to a free team account, your files and folders will be moved to your personal account."

Files and folders I've created after joining the team (that were not in the team folder) will be moved to my personal account, correct?

Also, when viewing the team folder info, I was wondering about the space used portion. You can see that the Team folder was created but never really used because there are no files in it. I'm assuming the "49.5 GB by you" is content that's not related to the Team folder and what will be moved to my personal account?

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 11.45.18 AM.png

Walter
Dropboxer
Files and folders you created after joining the team account will be moved to your personal account if you've connected a personal account to this one (which is part of a team account) @gtracey

When it comes to the screenshot you sent along, could you clarify to which page you navigated to find this information?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

gtracey
Explorer | Level 3

Sure! I found that by clicking on my account icon and then clicking on "View team and groups". It shows that information at the top of the page with team members below (this is the only team I'm a member of).

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying that @gtracey

Could you have a look at your account's plan tab and let me know what is reported there?

Also, do you see all of your files and folders when you navigate your account's homepage

Walter
dropbox.com/support

gtracey
Explorer | Level 3

Sure! This is what I see under the Account tab:

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 11.29.26 AM.png

And when I'm on my home screen, it shows folders divided up by "suggested by your activity," recent, and starred. Here's what one of the folders under the suggested section looks like – it has the folder name and then the folder it's apparently nested in.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 11.32.08 AM.png

This folder isn't uploaded in the Team folder, but I'm confused because it looks like it's nested in a "Wedding Ideas Photos" folder. Is this simply because I'm a part of that team? I'm assuming so because even folders that have been shared with me by other clients show up like this. 

Walter
Dropboxer
Yes, you're correct @gtracey - it looks like your team's name is Wedding Idea Photos, thus the confusion. 

If you've made sure that you can see all of your content in your account, I'd recommend leaving the team to revert your account back to a standalone account to avoid such troubles in the future. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

gtracey
Explorer | Level 3

Just left the team, and it looks like everything is still intact. Thank you so much! I appreciate your patience and help!

Walter
Dropboxer
No biggie @gtracey - I'm just glad I could help.

See you around the Community and take care!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    gtracey Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?