cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I discovered some unknown files in my account. Are my files compromised?

I discovered some unknown files in my account. Are my files compromised?

WAS48
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Help, please.

I checked my account as had received an email saying storage full. Only have a basic understanding of Dropbox so didn't even know I had this! When I looked at the photos section, I discovered several photos of personal docs, eg passport, which belong to people unknown to me. Does this mean that the security and privacy of my own photos have been compromised? 

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @WAS48, how are you today?

Regarding someone else using your email, since a Dropbox account (yours) already exists, no one would have been able to sign up to Dropbox using your email.

About the photos though, do you know their exact location in your account? 

Which folder are they in, is it perhaps a folder you're sharing with some of the people in them?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @WAS48 

If you've never used Dropbox or knew what it was chances are that somebody else has accidentally set an account up in your email. When you've then followed the links and logged in you'll have their data. Sadly there is no way to know who it was supposed to be with. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

WAS48
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Mark.

I have been using Dropbox for sharing large files between colleagues (almost always in response to a request to do so) but wasn't aware of the other 'services' offered , hence no idea about storage. The pics 'stored' in my account are from more than one person. Whilst I can delete those and have no intent to mis-use them, I am far more concerned about whether or not pics stored on my laptop are stored in Dropbox's storage. More logically, it would only be pictures shared via Dropbox? Less of a problem if the latter but certainly is if the former. How can someone else 'accidentally' use my email address? Doesn't the system say 'already in use'?  Thanks. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @WAS48, how are you today?

Regarding someone else using your email, since a Dropbox account (yours) already exists, no one would have been able to sign up to Dropbox using your email.

About the photos though, do you know their exact location in your account? 

Which folder are they in, is it perhaps a folder you're sharing with some of the people in them?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

WAS48
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Hannah,

Thanks for your reply which has enabled me to work out why these pics are in my Home - Photos  - folder. You are right - they were shared with me through someone else (although they shouldn't have been!). Anyway, I am now reassured that my own pics have not been shared in this way and am thankful for your reassurance about access to my email address. I'm not over-IT literate so it takes me a while to work things out and even understand answers to queries but am content now.

Thanks again,

WAS48

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

WAS48 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?