cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an unauthorized charge from Dropbox. What can I do?

I have an unauthorized charge from Dropbox. What can I do?

Badgerman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox has taken money from my credit card account without authorisation, how do I get it back?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kllebeau wrote:

I have an unauthorized charge on my debit card.

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Dropbox cannot charge you if they don't have your billing information. If you've been charged and didn't give them your billing information, then someone else has and you should be contacting your bank.

View solution in original post

76 Replies 76

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Badgerman  - sorry to hear that. 

Can you please provide some additional information about what happened? Is it possible that your credit card was somehow compromised? Have you contacted your bank about this? 

If you'd like to see the email of the account that the charge relates to, you can use our self-serve lookup tool: https://www.dropbox.com/payments/find_receipt 

Should you need further assistance though, do let me know and I'll reach out to the email address you use for your forum's profile so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available. 

In any case, please keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

savan33
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I never used dropbox, and never subscribe anything from dropbox.  But there are two unauthorized charges from dropbox on my credit card.  One from last week, one from this week, with $19.99 each.  What happened?  I have closed my credit card account and opened up a new one, but the trasactions of those two charges got carried over.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @savan33, may I reach out to the email address associated with your Community's profile here so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available? 

In the meantime, have you been able to identify the email addresses that are associated with those charges by using our self served look-up tool

Walter
dropbox.com/support

savan33
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your response.  Yes you can reach me out to my email address.  I just used your self served look-up tool and found the two charges are from two different accounts which I never knew.  Please send message to my email address, I'll give you the information I found.

Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the swift response @savan33; I just reached out via email to have a further look into this.

Take a look at your inbox (ticket with ID:9013524 ) and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Jimmythebeard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I have been charged for a subscription fee back on 29th march 2018. £720 fee for 5 business accounts, i dont even have a business? Ihave absolutly know i idea how this has happened? Unless my account was hacked?! I only caught on to this this charge when i saw a massive Paypal bill for the £720 come through on my bank statement this year!

I havent even used Dropbox and the inactively can be seen! How can i get my money back for the payment in 2018? Its Daylight robbery.  

Thanks in advance

James

[personal information removed for security purposes]

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there James, sorry to hear about this.

I see that you're in direct communication with a colleague of mine so I'd suggest that you referred to your existing ticket as this is the best way to handle account specific inquiries like this one. I passed your comments there too so we can have all the relevant information under one place. 

If there's anything else I can assist with from my end, please let me know here and I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tequila_1934
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’m having the same issue, I don’t use drop box and have never payed for anything related to it but there have been 2 payments come out of my account.
I’ve tried the receipt finder but I don’t have a Transaction ID in my account, and every time I try to click ‘billing help request’ the page doesn’t load.

Please help because I don’t appreciate money being taken without permission

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @Tequila_1934 - let's see what we can do about this.

At first, as you mentioned that you don't use Dropbox, have you reported this to your bank?

I'm only suggesting this as your credit card details might have been compromised and used to purchase a Dropbox subscription.

In any case, as mentioned, the best way to handle billing inquiries is through our official Support portal so feel free to log a ticket with our team though this page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and welcome to our Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Semsrms New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    kllebeau New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?