cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Help us get a better understanding of what this Community means to you by taking our quick survey over here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

N/A.

N/A.

Not applicable
N/A.
28 Replies 28

Re: Scammed by someone who says they work for Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@anonymous wrote:

Scammed by someone who says they work for Dropbox ... Can someone help in this situation?

Yes. Your local authorities. This is a public support forum for the Dropbox application. There's simply no one here equipped to be able to handle this situation. If you believe the laptop to be Dropbox property and that it was possibly stolen, you need to contact the Police immediately and explain that to them.

Not applicable
I did and was advised to reach out to Dropbox to see if that person was given ownership legally, if so then Dropbox would have to release the remote management lock. Otherwise the police would keep it until its claimed by whoever is looking for it, the thing is that it was confirmed that it is in fact NOT reported lost or stolen so it would just sit in lost and found for an entire year I which I would lose the money I paid for it.

The issue now is that Dropbox doesn’t respond to anyone who doesn’t pay for their enterprise membership which honestly sounds like an even bigger scam than buying the laptop to be honest.

I am assuming I was scammed since the seller is no longer in the same public area. The only solution is to speak with someone from Dropbox who can confirm the situation as legit or not.

Rich
Super User II

@anonymous wrote:
The issue now is that Dropbox doesn’t respond to anyone who doesn’t pay for their enterprise membership ...

And again, you're talking to the wrong people. There's no one in the application support groups that will be able to help you with something like this. You need to talk to their Security or IT groups, and you won't be able to do that through these forums or the Support page. Call their headquarters in San Francisco.

Not applicable
Thank you btw for taking your time to respond to me. I already tried that but when I call, options 1-4 are all dead-end automated recordings that direct me to come here to the help center / community but you can only get help if you have their enterprise membership. I did get through to a person in their sales dept and in the recorded call that I have where I explain it. She literally word for word tole me that her nor anyone in her team can help me because they all work from home (you can hear a baby crying in the background) and it’s out of her knowledge / reach. That I have to come here. I’ve tried everything. This was my last resort in hopes that someone who works for dropbox may read this and direct me with a legit number that can help.

Rich
Super User II

@anonymous wrote:
This was my last resort in hopes that someone who works for dropbox may read this and direct me with a legit number that can help.

I've passed this thread on to a contact within Dropbox but they're not part of any team that can assist with this. They may be able to pass it on, but I still think your best bet is to reach someone at HQ. These forums and the Support system will not get you the results you expect.

N/A.

Not applicable
N/A.

Nancy
Dropboxer

Hi @anonymous, I’m sorry to hear about the whole situation. 

Would you like me to open a ticket/email for you perhaps, so that we can take a closer look into this? 

I’d like us to gather more info, and see if we can find out something more.

Let me know, and I can message you to the email address that’s linked to your forum profile here.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

N/A.

Not applicable
N/A.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @anonymous - thanks for the cooperation!

I've just sent you an email to have a further look into this matter, so please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

anonymous Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?