cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protect access to Dropbox folder

Password protect access to Dropbox folder

Patrick Demers
New member | Level 2

I think it would be a great feature to enable access to the dropbox folder through a password protection option.
That way the files could be protected from view if another person has access to my account.

Say another person uses my computer when I am away on vacation. It would make sense in this case to temporarily lock it from view.

I am aware that you can remove folder from syncing.
Although it can still be toggled on and off by anyone who has access to my computer.

Not protected enough.

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Patrick Demers, thanks for messaging the Community!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to password protect Dropbox, or any of the folders inside. This is because Dropbox is not a network drive and the Dropbox software has no control over access to the folder. The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer.

We recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer. It's a good idea to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

carldagostino
Explorer | Level 4

if someone invades my computer , gets in desktop, they can get into my dpbx merely using icon, so not safe to use icon, always log into dpbx with passwrd, never post icon ?

Mark
Super User II

@carldagostino wrote:

if someone invades my computer , gets in desktop, they can get into my dpbx merely using icon, so not safe to use icon, always log into dpbx with passwrd, never post icon ?

If they can get on to your computer @carldagostino then even with a password your files are at risk - a very quick and simple key logger would give them all of the info they need.

You need to secure the devices/computers itself rather than an icon/folder within it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @carldagostino, I moved your post to this relevant thread.

Make sure to check Jay's reply that has some info on your query and if you have any questions, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

carldagostino
Explorer | Level 4

I figured that. Just to be clear a dropbx icon makes me more vulnerable. Password to log into dropbx each time more secure, right ?  Then within each folder stored in dropbx should have it's own unique paswrd to add greater security, right? Appreciate your response and help

carldagostino
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks  for the clear clarification. I understand. I'm approaching 74 and security  for my accts, although simple and basic should be secure. Very helpful. 

ecully1977
New member | Level 2

My dropbox account opens without password on my computer - how can I stop this?

Rich
Super User II

@ecully1977 wrote:

My dropbox account opens without password on my computer - how can I stop this?

If you're referring to the Dropbox website, sign out of the website and the next time you sign in, make sure you don't have the Remember me option checked. When you close your browser you'll won't automatically sign back in to the website on your next visit. As long as Remember me is checked, you'll be automatically signed in.

If you're referring to the Dropbox application on your computer, there is no password for it. If you're worried about someone accessing the Dropbox application or your local Dropbox folder, secure your computer with a username and password so no one else can sign in as you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ecully1977 New member | Level 2
    carldagostino Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?