cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Possible email scam (claiming to be dropbox).

Possible email scam (claiming to be dropbox).

mollyhrichter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just received an email from a person claiming to be with Dropbox Business. It was suspect enough that I'm not clicking on any links.  I dont have dropbox business (just professional) so I don't think it is legitamate.  

To whom at Dropbox do I report this ?

BTW, The email asks how my evaluation is going--I don't know to what it is referring as I'm not evaluating any dropbox products.

_________

Here is the message content:

Thank you for reaching out earlier! How is your evaluation going?

My name is Tyrannus with Dropbox Business, I’ll be your point of contact moving forward in helping with your evaluation process.

Organizations choose Dropbox Business because of its reliable syncing, ease of use, and because their team is already consistently using Dropbox. [link removed].

I'd like to chat over a quick call to go over any questions your team might have. You can add time to my calendar here and I will call you: [link removed]

Best,
Tyrannus

-
Tyrannus Rolle | Dropbox Business | [phone number removed]

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mollyhrichter,

Dropbox uses those domains to send official communication

As @Mark suggested you can forward suspicious emails directly to abuse@dropbox.com.

Thank you!

Moderator note: You can also see more info on this here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Security-and-Permissions/Weird-looking-email-address-Is-it-coming-fr... 

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@RockMan - sensible ideas

Why not put them as a request over at 'Share an Idea' ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It looks legit, but, is possible that somebody has used the webchat feature while logged in to your account / accidentally user your email when starting it.

You can forward on suspicious emails to abuse@dropbox.com and ask for help.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mollyhrichter,

Dropbox uses those domains to send official communication

As @Mark suggested you can forward suspicious emails directly to abuse@dropbox.com.

Thank you!

Moderator note: You can also see more info on this here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Security-and-Permissions/Weird-looking-email-address-Is-it-coming-fr... 

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Zed not sure why a dead thread has been ressurected, however, I've had an almost identical email from Dropbox staff in the past day or so from the contact I've had with the business team. 

The Business sales teams do in fact send follow up emails. 

RockMan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nothing you wrote defined precisely how we users are ensured an email from your company is bona fide. Try again, PLEASE.

You have a massive storage facility, complete control over it but choose to leave us both guessing what's up and vulnerable to phishing. No Thanks.

System Design thoughts:

Send me an email containing some form of Info ID and instructions to 1) login to Dropbox, 2) click the We Got Some Info For You link, 3) enter the Info ID, 4) view the info you want to give us.

Email is dead. Zombies killed and ate it. 🙂

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@RockMan - sensible ideas

Why not put them as a request over at 'Share an Idea' ?

Jeadrcar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Please help, business Dropbox is spamming all my contacts with a confidential agreement.
Need more support?