cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporarily revoking file access to a specific device.

Temporarily revoking file access to a specific device.

t_c
New member | Level 2

Good evening:

My laptop bit the dust and is under warranty.  My best guess is that the power supply blew, but it's only a guess... and it's now in transit to the manufacturer.

The point is that I do not have current access to the machine having shipped it off to the manufacturer for repairs.  As part of the process, I am required to provide them my Windows log in password along with the 48-digit key to Bitlocker.  This also means that once they repair it, if they don't wipe the drive data in the process, it's still logged into my Dropbox account.

Is there a way to "temporarily" lock the machine from accessing Dropbox or will I have to delete access to the laptop and repopulate it upon its return.  On a positive note, 90% of the files in Dropbox are NOT stored locally due to space constraints.

Thank you for your suggestions...

-TC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@t_c wrote:

Is there a way to "temporarily" lock the machine from accessing Dropbox or will I have to delete access to the laptop and repopulate it upon its return.

There's no temporary option. You can unlink the device from your account on your Security page so it can't access your account or any of your files stored online. There's nothing preventing them from accessing the files stored on your local drive.

When you get the laptop back you'll need to re-link the device by launching (or installing) Dropbox and signing back in to your account. When you do this it will need to re-index your files. If the drive isn't wiped, I'd suggest renaming the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox.old or similar, and basically start from scratch.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@t_c wrote:

Is there a way to "temporarily" lock the machine from accessing Dropbox or will I have to delete access to the laptop and repopulate it upon its return.

There's no temporary option. You can unlink the device from your account on your Security page so it can't access your account or any of your files stored online. There's nothing preventing them from accessing the files stored on your local drive.

When you get the laptop back you'll need to re-link the device by launching (or installing) Dropbox and signing back in to your account. When you do this it will need to re-index your files. If the drive isn't wiped, I'd suggest renaming the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox.old or similar, and basically start from scratch.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?