cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Not happy with your Spotify Wrapped? Check out how Kevin on the Dropbox team used Paper to make sure he keeps discovering new music over here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Google account has replaced email-sign-in account with same email address

Google account has replaced email-sign-in account with same email address

Joostvb123
New member | Level 2

Hi,

i used t acces dropbox using user@gmail.com, an old fashioned login to dropbox without google-account linking.

I accidentally clicked "use google to login" and it created a new account with the same email, "user@gmail.com", and now  i can't acess the old dropbox account with the email/password combination i had.

what can i do?

5 Replies 5

Re: Google account has replaced email-sign-in account with same email address

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @Joostvb123, thanks for posting!

It wouldn't be possible to create another Dropbox account under the same email address.

Can you let me know around how long ago was the last time that you accessed this Dropbox account before using the sign in with Google option?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

martindybdahl
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, i have the same issue. All my files are gone after accidentially connecting my account with google.

Has any solution been found to this yet?

Best Regards,

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @martindybdahl, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

As Daphne mentioned, it isn't possible to create another Dropbox account under the same email address.

How long has it been since you last accessed this Dropbox account before using the sign in with Google option?

Another way to verify this would be to check your account's events page

Do you see any signs of your missing files there?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

martindybdahl
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Apologize for not being clear. It's not that i created an additional Dropbox account with the same email address. I accidentially used google sign on with the same email address as my existing dropbox account. It looks like it has simply just overwritten my existing account. And that is apparently possible...

There is no trace of the missing files. Not in under "Deleted files" not under "Events". Actually, there are no events from before used google sign on. The only files i still have accessible from my dropbox account is the files and folders others shared with me. Everything else seems to be gone.

When did i last use the account? I would say somewhere around 6 months ago, but i am not 100% sure about that.

Best Regards,

Martin

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @martindybdahl, signing into your account with Google sign-in wouldn't overwrite your account, since it would only link the two different login systems.

Do you see any previous logins on your account? 

If you're not seeing the missing files on the events or deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to why this might be the case:

• The files are on another Dropbox account
  • They were on a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The files were deleted outside of the 30 day period
  • The files were permanently deleted

Could you check the first two possibilities? Even though you signed in with Google, you could technically have another account since Gmail address like johnsmith@gmail.com and john.smith@gmail.com are considered to be two separate Dropbox accounts. However, they would both go to the same Gmail inbox due to the way their system works.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    martindybdahl Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?