cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal account linked to wrong email address, after separating it from Business team

Personal account linked to wrong email address, after separating it from Business team

Nicolas M.11
Explorer | Level 4

I had a personal account linked to email A. I was invited to a team from my work and I decided to keep both accounts separated, so when the option was given I choose to create a new account using email B, which is my work email.
Now all my personal stuff is linked to the account of email B, instead of the other way around, and my email A is now linked to my job's team.

I tried to abandon the team, but seems that only admins can remove someone from a team (!!). How can I solve this situation?

This is critical, I have years of very important stuff in my personal account. My personal account was plus and the account from my organisation is business.

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Nicolas M.11, thanks for your post and sorry to see you're having trouble.

Indeed, when you choose to keep your files separate from the team, you are prompted to create a new account, where your personal files are moved.

In this particular case, I would suggest changing the email address of the account that's now using your work email, to a third, placeholder email address.

This will free up the work email, so you can go to your work account (which is currently under your personal email) and change the email from your personal to your work one.

This will basically switch the emails between the accounts and the account with your personal files will be under your personal email.

I hope this helps, but if you need clarifications, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nicolas M.11
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you for your reply. A problem I have is that I cannot change the email associated to my work account: it says "contact your team admin to change the email".
I don't even know who is the team admin or how to contact him, which makes me wonder what prompted Dropbox to decide for this behaviour! I understand that only admins should be able to do things like editing files, but I do not understand why I can't leave a team. I basically have given to my employer my personal account. Is there a way to do this by myself?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Nicolas M.11, the best way to find your admin is by following these steps. 

Once you do that, the best way to go on about it is to ask the team's admin to revert your account back to an individual one, by following these steps.

If you have any questions, I'm here!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nicolas M.11
Explorer | Level 4
What I meant is that the admin is someone in not close with and I cannot bother him with this sort of things. I'll see what I can do, but what I've got from the answers is that, in fact, joining a team gives the admin total control over an account, which seems to me as an important security liability. As a suggestion, Dropbox could issue a warning before joining a team, saying that the admin will fully control your account. And users should at least be able to leave a team by themselves.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nicolas M.11 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?