cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right click menu not showing "Do Not Back Up This Folder"

Right click menu not showing "Do Not Back Up This Folder"

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

I have a backup package and I back up my desktop in addition to other files.

For the past few weeks, right clicking on a folder does not reveal the context menu item "Do Not Back Up This Folder" or whatever the exact language used to be.  Apparently, there is no other way to do this either?  

The only right click Dropbox options I see are "View on Dropbox.com," "Make Online Only," "Version History." and "Send a Copy..."

I use my desktop for temporary files and folders that I don't want backed up all the time.  I really need this functionality back.  I saw today that Dropbox had updated, but this still isn't working.  My only option is to pause syncing altogether, which is a recipe for forgetting to turn it back on.

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @lynnl999 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please let us know if you're referring to files you've backed up to your Dropbox account or files that are stored in your Dropbox account and syncing in your Dropbox folder on your computer?

A screenshot of the options you're getting would also help,  so feel free to send us one.

If you could also clarify your device's OS version and the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your menu bar/system tray, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

>Could you please let us know if you're referring to files you've backed up to your Dropbox account or files that are stored in your Dropbox account and syncing in your Dropbox folder on your computer?

I'm not clear what you're asking.

My desktop backs up to my Dropbox account automatically.  So if I drop a file or folder there, it automatically starts backing up.  Normally, I can right click and pick "don't back this up" and it will stop.  That's no longer an option.

>A screenshot of the options you're getting would also help,  so feel free to send us one.

This is all I'm getting at the moment.This is all I'm getting at the moment.

This is all I'm getting at the moment, with "Send a copy" when I right click a folder.

Dropbox version v187.4.5691.  My OS is Windows 10 with whatever updates get pushed.

There was a post similar to this about a month ago but nothing seems to have improved since then.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lynnl999, is the "don't sync to Dropbox.com" option also missing from other files in your Dropbox folder or just from your backup files?

Can you send us a screenshot of the right-click options from a Dropbox file outside the backup folders?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

>is the "don't sync to Dropbox.com" option also missing from other files in your Dropbox folder or just from your backup files?

Yes, I don't see it on anything.

>Can you send us a screenshot of the right-click options from a Dropbox file outside the backup folders?

Sure, but I didn't think the "don't sync to dropbox" option existed outside of the backup folders.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 084821.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lynnl999, sorry to jump in here.

If you go to your Manage backups settings, are you seeing an option to unselect the subfolders you want, and not have them sync to your Dropbox account?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, selective sync works, but it's not really a good option for the way I use my desktop.  I need to be able to quickly tell Dropbox not to back up, not dig through preferences and menus.

Was this functionality intentionally removed?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, @lynnl999, sorry for the delay here, we're actually still looking into this for you.

While we do so, can you also follow the steps in Sam's post here, to make sure this doesn't have to do with the context menu itself not showing the option?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

As far as I can tell, all of the top items are Dropbox.  

Screenshot 2023-11-27 144934.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking, @lynnl999.

So after some investigation, it would seem that indeed, some options for Windows 10 users have been removed from the right-click menu, including the "don't sync to Dropbox.com" option.

Apologies for the inconvenience this might cause you.

However, your feedback has already been passed along to our team.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lynnl999 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?