cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

In case anyone's unaware... if you're a Mac user storing your Dropbox on an external drive, you'll shortly lose that ability.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/dropbox-drops-support-for-storing-files-on-an-external-drive-and-onedrive...

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Just confirmed this with DB support (see below).  Gutted - been with Dropbox for years and our entire video team flow is based around it 😕

>Hi there, I read today that you are scrapping the ability to store the Dropbox folder on external disks, on OSX. I'd like to ask more about this please.

> Hello Jon, and thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Joseph, and I will be more than happy to look into your request, right away.  

That is correct Jon, as part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

>This is a showstopper for us, and will mean we have to move to another service. We have a large distributed team using DB for video work, no way it'll fit within internal drives.
Is there a workaround?

> I totally understand and I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, there is no workaround on this as changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.

>This change doesn't seem to have hit us yet - we're running a variety of machines inc Ventura
What will trigger its enforcement? Can we stay on an earlier OS or Dropbox version?

>The updates happening automatically every time the Dropbox app is restarting, for example if your device never restarts it should maintain the older version but we can't guarantee full functionality on older versions of the application.

>So what will happen - if we have a Dropbox folder on an 8TB drive and a tiny internal drive - will it try to clone stuff across and eat up the space? What's the mechanism?

>That's right, it will try to move the content on your internal drive until it has no space and gives you an error.

>Is Smartsync still supported? I.e. will it move stuff to being online only if it won't fit?

>It is, however it is now known as online-only.

678 Replies 678

jmeredi2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
We have a business advanced plan with 6 users that we pay about $1,700/ year for. This is an unlimited plan, so every time we reach our storage limit, they give us more space. Unfortunately this obviously won’t work anymore with the DropBox “upgrade” unless I can find computers with 30-40TB internal hard drives.

jmeredi2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
@KzDbx

Where did you get the information that DropBox would not be upgrading customers who have their files stored on an external drive? According to people I’ve spoken to at DropBox, and everything I find online, this upgrade will happen for everyone in the next couple months, regardless of storage size or location. Do you have documentation to back up what you’re claiming?

Dekaritae
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
There are other providers who have solved this by allowing separate non-cloud sync of local data, even on external drives.

https://www.sync.com/help/moving-your-sync-folder-to-a-new-location/

psalcal
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Ok this is looking more and more like I’m going to need to end my relationship with Dropbox. I’m going to have to do a deep dive into other options. I think Box, google drive are likely not options based on my previous experience. Does anyone have other advice in services which allow external drive sync and are suitable for audio and video work? Thank you in advance.

The Dark Knight
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey @jmeredi2 

Dropbox dropped this comment in this support thread on 17 February.

Here's a screenshot I took of it.

Best,

TDK :bat:

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 20.09.13.png

psalcal
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hey everyone.  I just had a chat with dropbox tech support.  They are reporting they have ZERO plans to support external drives going forward on the Mac.  None.  There is NO path forward for us, according to tech support.  That is their official position.  

May I suggest we use this thread to discuss alternative options?  

EDIT:  Bad move Dropbox to move this into a thread, to bury it.  UGH.  Very bad move.  

What I know now:  

Google Drive DOES currently have a way of using external drives.  It involves running a script in Terminal, but I'm using it for work and it DOES work.  I don't love Google Drive though for my own personal use, it's always been less reliable than Dropbox and slower.  

iCloud Drive:  probably doesn't support external drives, AND it is not set up for similar use.  It doesn't appear to always download and keep a directory "fresh" and complete when it's changed by others.  

Box.com:  Confirmed no support for external drives.  

iSync:  I have a question in to them.  

Are there any other cloud services I should be considering?  Thank you... 

Anyone have experience with sync.com doing audio and video work?    

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution
I tried them all and more… sadly no service comes as close as Dropbox (as of today). I know it’s hard to swallow but it’s the just the reality as it stands (for now though).

Dropbox will either adapt (not likely considering my experience with their tech and comms teams) or die in the long run by missing so much share of the market by refusing to adapt its technology and storage plans.

I feel like Dropbox as a company grew too fast too quick and then has been reaching a plateau since 2017/2018 when they no longer invested in quality people and further dev.

The shareholders must be happy though (for now): easy money keeps flowing every month, no need for costly dev and investments, low customer support. It’s a recipe for disaster though in the long run for any company in a competitive context.

TimothyHoganStudio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Found a temporary workaround. 

After completely uninstalling dropbox and all associated files (I used the uninstaller on cleanmymacX), I was able to download and install the following version of dropbox. 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-167-4-4719/td-p/658295

This version still allows (So far) use of external hard disks. 

I'm on an intel mac mini, running Monterey, so ymmv on Silicon macs. (My M1 Macbook had not auto upgraded and broken dropbox.. yet)

Good luck!

MottoW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Currently looking into sync.com, lacks contextual menus, but does allow for installation to external drive. Google drive is not great and iCloud is buggy and Ive lost data using it. 

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
The Dark Night, They sent that same reply to me only a couple of days ago. I’m sure they will come with a solution. If not there will be others like FileZilla, Cyber Duck, Mountain Duck.

We could be heading for 100 TB of storage, we only need 10TB at a time, but the headroom is essential.

Speed is not a factor, for steady media steaming. Local storage makes absolutely no sense to us.
Need more support?