cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

In case anyone's unaware... if you're a Mac user storing your Dropbox on an external drive, you'll shortly lose that ability.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/dropbox-drops-support-for-storing-files-on-an-external-drive-and-onedrive...

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Just confirmed this with DB support (see below).  Gutted - been with Dropbox for years and our entire video team flow is based around it 😕

>Hi there, I read today that you are scrapping the ability to store the Dropbox folder on external disks, on OSX. I'd like to ask more about this please.

> Hello Jon, and thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Joseph, and I will be more than happy to look into your request, right away.  

That is correct Jon, as part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

>This is a showstopper for us, and will mean we have to move to another service. We have a large distributed team using DB for video work, no way it'll fit within internal drives.
Is there a workaround?

> I totally understand and I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, there is no workaround on this as changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.

>This change doesn't seem to have hit us yet - we're running a variety of machines inc Ventura
What will trigger its enforcement? Can we stay on an earlier OS or Dropbox version?

>The updates happening automatically every time the Dropbox app is restarting, for example if your device never restarts it should maintain the older version but we can't guarantee full functionality on older versions of the application.

>So what will happen - if we have a Dropbox folder on an 8TB drive and a tiny internal drive - will it try to clone stuff across and eat up the space? What's the mechanism?

>That's right, it will try to move the content on your internal drive until it has no space and gives you an error.

>Is Smartsync still supported? I.e. will it move stuff to being online only if it won't fit?

>It is, however it is now known as online-only.

678 Replies 678

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10

@jahshwa Hey don’t knock Sync.com until you’ve tried it! It has app support for iPhone. iPad and Mac, and you can access the server directly through your browser. I find it nearly as reliable as Dropbox for my very active, daily needs, and their tech support replies within 24 hrs. I predict you’ll be happy with it.

danvanmoll
Explorer | Level 4

It's been a few months. Any update?

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10

@danvanmoll Unfortunately no.

Serpico
Helpful | Level 5
I am devastated with this new functionality. It just don’t work for me.
I’m in the video and graphic design market and I can’t work like this.
Back to files offline and wetransfer.com
I guess. I won’t pay for this new Dropbox.

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Then don’t migrate to File Provider, the old API still syncs to external volumes, perfectly on the latest Mac OS

Serpico
Helpful | Level 5
How? This app updated on my Mac. Any guide to do this?

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10

@Serpico Judt switch to a provider that makes it simpler to retain external drives. I use Sync.com now and haven’t updated my DB subscription. I miss the speed and functionality of zDB but external drive support is fundamental ti me and my wife.

Serpico
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks for the suggestion. But speed is critical for me, and sync is wayyyy to slow. I work with several 2gb and 3gb .psb files at the time. My workflow is crippled. 😞

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10

@Serpico Understood. Really don’t have a good answer for you short of rolling your own on a Synology NAS. Considering this myself, while realizing this comes with its own set of headaches.

Need more support?