cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox using alot of storage even with smartsync on

Dropbox using a lot of storage even with Smart sync on

jonps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the Dropbox desktop app on my laptop and activated smart sync before I started syncing files.

When I started the sync process, the app started downloading all files and kept them locally, even though I marked all files as online-only. In the end, dropbox had downloaded over 200gb out of a total 300gb.

I understand that the smart sync and online-only functionality still takes some space, but taking up over 200gb seems a bit excessive....

Have I missed something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'll answer my own question, I started looking through my files and discovered that for some reason, all zip files, and some other random files and filetypes was downloaded, after manually selecting a few files and select "Online-only", it refused to delete them and kept them as local files.

Reinstalling the dropbox app seems to have fixed the issue, dropping total used space from 200gb to around 2gb, which is a HUGE improvement.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jonps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'll answer my own question, I started looking through my files and discovered that for some reason, all zip files, and some other random files and filetypes was downloaded, after manually selecting a few files and select "Online-only", it refused to delete them and kept them as local files.

Reinstalling the dropbox app seems to have fixed the issue, dropping total used space from 200gb to around 2gb, which is a HUGE improvement.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jonps, thanks for reaching out to our Community!

I'm glad that reinstalling the Dropbox app helped you resolve this issue and your hard drive space was eventually freed up.

If you have any other issues or questions, do let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?