cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invite new users to get free storage

Invite new users to get free storage

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7

Hi, so now unable to invite new users to get free storage space?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

@DAVEN L. wrote:

Hi,

So if the brother is using dropbox install in a desktop and invite his sister and the brother log out from the dropbox and let the sister to register on the same desktop, is this a considered a valid invite and setup? If yes, will the brother get the free storage?

No. Because it isnt a unique device - it may work but it will more than likely flag it as abuse and so not issue any free space at all. Too many of those like that and Dropbox may remove all referral space issued. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DAVEN L. - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know what exactly is not working for you so that we can advise further? 

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7
I invite a new user but I wasn't awarded 500mb of space

Mark
Super User II

@DAVEN L. wrote:
I invite a new user but I wasn't awarded 500mb of space

Inviting doesnt get you the space, them accepting the invite and installing on a computer gets the space (note a mobile device does not count). 

You can see referral status' at www.dropbox.com/referral_status

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7
About 10 years

Mark
Super User II

@DAVEN L. wrote:
About 10 years

You've not answered any question....

Also, note that there is a limitation to Dropbox of 32 referrals. After that you stop getting space.

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7

Hi, 

So are you saying, only new uses accept invites and install either in laptop or desktop counts?

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7

So how do i know whether i hit that 32 referrals?

Mark
Super User II

@DAVEN L. wrote:

Hi, 

So are you saying, only new uses accept invites and install either in laptop or desktop counts?

Yes. 

That has always been the case. For it to be a valid referral they need to install on to a unique (i.e. not used before) desktop or laptop. Mobiles and tablets dont, and never have, counted. 

Mark
Super User II

@DAVEN L. wrote:

So how do i know whether i hit that 32 referrals?

You can see at https://www.dropbox.com/account/referrals 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    DAVEN L. Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?