cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Adobe After Effects unusable on macOS 12.3 due to Dropbox

Adobe not downloading online only files from projects

TBirds
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi All,

after updating to MacOS 12.3 I have not been able to open project files (Premiere/After Effects) without errors of not finding files that are in dropbox as 'online only'. Prior to the Mac update all files would auto download to be on my machine locally. I know there's an issue with full support for OS 12.3... any updates or solutions folks have found?

thanks 

91 Replies 91

Planet Nutshell
Helpful | Level 6

The "File Provider" setting is not available for me in my admin/sync/content settings. How do I enable it? 

j2762mm
Helpful | Level 6

I reject this "solution" which has been posted since April but still obviously not relevant.

I don't have the setting either. Never have. Never received any notifications, just months upon months of a broken Dropbox feature that I'm still paying thousands for and wasting lots of time. 

The only thing I'm curious about from that help page is the parts that says: "Teams interested in updating to the File Provider experience can reach out to their sales representatives."

So are we supposed to manually ask about this? I don't have a sales rep. I contacted support many months ago as documented here but nobody has followed up to let me know anything has changed.

This issue is NOT resolved.

Planet Nutshell
Helpful | Level 6

Agreed. Doesn't sound like there's really a solution. 

funwin
Helpful | Level 6

From - https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-for-teams

Your device must be running macOS 12.5 or later to use Dropbox for macOS on File Provider. However, using macOS 13+ is strongly recommended.

What if not every computer on your company teams is running MacOS 13+   ?? 

joeburke1
Helpful | Level 5

So here is what I find interesting about this issue. 

I have both a MacStudio and a MacBook Pro with identical specs, each running 13.3.1. 

My Mac Studio has zero issues with files living on Drop Box, downloaded for off-line use. My MacBook Pro consistently does not recognize files on DB even is they have been downloaded to my computer. 

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue?

Zone Studio
Helpful | Level 5

I followed this thread looking for an answer, and its seems I'm "not eligible" even though I think I have pretty much the latest in everything: Mac OS updated, dropbox updated, AAE lates.... . Is there not a more go-to simple answer that doesn't require a tech genius? We're creatives!

Planet Nutshell
Helpful | Level 6

Can someone please explain what "File Provider" even is? Why isn't this baked into the Dropbox experience on Mac OS by default? 

Zone Studio
Helpful | Level 5

Projects that are shared among teams or old projects that require adjustments means that linked files will probably be offline.

Opening an after effects project with linked files that are offline should not be a problem.

The suggestion to manually download each linked file is not practical, as the amount of offline linked files can be quite large and this is extremely time-consuming. Also, when an offline file is located and then "made available online", a "bad header" popup appears and the workaround for that is to re-export the footage and rename the file. In a project with over 200 linked files, how is that a solution?

From previous forums, I gather that once upon a time, opening an after effects files with linked assets would trigger their download, but it seems this is no longer the case. Why oh why????? We desperately need this to work.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Zone Studio - thanks for taking the times to share your thoughts on this.

Your feedback has been noted in our system; please let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Planet Nutshell
Helpful | Level 6

I have one thing to add, if I may be presumptuous. Could you please fix this issue? Please and thank you. 

Need more support?