cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Dropbox folder remotely after migration to new "Secure" location

Can't access Dropbox folder remotely after migration to new "Secure" location

Shawn G.2
Explorer | Level 4

My situation is I have a Parallels VM to run a 32 bit application with it's data file external and shared on the host machine.

Ever since Dropbox moved the file to the Library folder and left an alias in my Documents folder I can no longer access the files.  If I click on the Dropbox alias I get "The operation can't be completed because the original item 'Dropbox' can't be found" (Which is probably consistent as the alias is on the host machine and doesn't resolve on the local one).

Further if I Command-Shift-. to display hidden folders and go in to user/cloudstorage/dropbox from the VM the folder is empty (I've tried changing permissions to no avail)

Further I've another physical Mac I try the same with and get the same results, although It's dropbox enabled and I can see the files in the new location OK and as it's down-level I can still use my App.

Any ideas team?

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Shawn G.2, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar and send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting?

Also,  do you happen to have enabled the Dropbox Backup feature for your computer's OS folders (Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders)? 

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there, Shawn. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Shawn G.2
Explorer | Level 4

Walter,

Thanks so much for responding.

Details are:

Mac 1

(Host System)

MacBook Pro (15 Inch 2018)

macOS 13.1 (22C65)

DropBox 165.4.4300

Parallels 17.1.6

(Virtual Machine)

No DropBox

Mac 2

MacBook 2010 (13 Inch mid 2010)

macOS 10.13.6

DropBox 165.4.4300

Error is:

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 09.19.55.png

DropBox Backups are not being used.

Current status is "Syncing" as its sdoing some heavy lifting in resending my Photo album!

Note the Parallels "Pass through" sharing gives the same error *but* when I navigate to the Library folder the files are in fact visible

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Shawn G.2, sorry to jump in here.

Can you please clarify something?

When you're getting the error, you're basically trying to access the Dropbox folder from another user account, is that right?

And before the Dropbox folder was moved to the Library, did you have it located in the shared folder or somewhere accessible by both user accounts?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Shawn G.2
Explorer | Level 4

Hannah,

The DropBox folder was in the default location and is now in the new default location, so completely vanilla.

No special sharing is done.

Although superficially complex the actual simplified version is that using Apple Remote Access (ARA) I could before the move see the files by sharing the disk using the user id of the host but since the move:

1) ARA can't resolve the new DropBox alias

2) When I navigate to the new library folder ARA sees the DropBox folder but when you open it it is empty.

This the issue is that since the move ARA no longer has access to the data.

As noted I have alternate method of seeing the files so it's not a show stopper - more a ....Uh?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Shawn G.2, unfortunately this would be outside the scope of our support. 

You'd need to have access to the library storage of the other profile for this to work, and we can't guide you with this.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Shawn G.2
Explorer | Level 4

Megan,

May I politely point out you miss the point, I *am* using the host userid (account) the issue is that via ARA with that account then the the DropBox folder contents are invisible *but* all other files in the Library folder are fine.   I.e. there is something specifically different with the Library DropBox folder than all others Library folders when using ARA.

Regards,

Shawn

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Shawn G.2 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?