cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Icon Not on PDF's

Can't open PDF files with new beta on my mac

BJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Issue is that the file info says open with Dropbox, not Adobe. If I change back to Adobe then it opens. (Or if I open it from inside Adobe.) But I have hundreds of PDFs that now have the wrong app to open them. Wouldn't be a problem if they opened using Dropbox, but they don't. I can change open with info on each file, but that would be a huge pain. I checked the box to say change open with info for similar files, but it didn't have any impact.

58 Replies 58

MarkofLA
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan. I think this issue is out of the scope of your expertise. This appears to be a compatibility issue between Dropbox's software and Apple's new macOS Ventura. So no need to pursue this any further. Thank you.

jubbins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same thing happening to me on M1 Monterey 12.6.

Reported in another thread. It's driving me nuts!

Burnt-On
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is a variation of the issue I have that I explained to @Hannah from DB in details weeks ago. Only difference for me is that with Adobe files they don't open at all.

Like yourself even after changing a default app to EXCEL for .xls or .xlxs files ( for all .xls and .xlxs files) it just opens that particular .xls file in the excel app and all other .xls files on dropbox.com, even though default app to open .xls file has been set to open with EXCEL app.

Thankfully I only joined the Beta on my backup machine or I'd be going crazy by now.

Burnt-On
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I reported this problem weeks ago and have just been on to the machine I'm running the Beta on and was amazed when I clicked a few PDF's in Dropbocx folder in Finder and hey presto, they opened! Wow, it is fixed I thought. Then I tried an Excel doc, which opened in Dropbox.com, NOT Excel. Get Info>Set Default App to Excel etc...

Low and behold nothing happened and I'm back to square one. MS Docs only open in Dropbox.com (not what I want, I want them to open in the native MS Apps on my Mac and Adobe docs don't open at all... the icon quickly expands as if the document is going to open a second later, but it never does.

Very slow progress DB! I've been a user for as long as I can remember Cloud File Storage being a thing and you were always streets ahead of the competition but this Beta is a mess.

ABA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Good luck

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Burnt-On

We’d like to check what’s going on here, would you mind if we reached out to the email associated with your community profile to look into this further?

Thank you! 

Emmet

SamPT
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Couple of community managers emailed me privately and in email since last week the reply is “ our engineers are working on it”

So basically dropbox just wants the query raisers from this forum, so the more people do not come to know the problem on this platform.

Since last 4 weeks dropbox is not able to find solution, i believe dropbox just made a unstable version for latest mac os

jonkratz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having this exact issue — it's a real bummer. Please update us if you find a solution. 

I wonder if the solution is to click the "Leave beta" button in Preferences > General, but was all the file moving to new location tied to being part of the beta and do all local files get deleted? It seems so.

Ideally, they'd just be able to let the files open with the "default" app and not Dropbox. How is Dropbox ending up between this expected behavior anyway?

Burnt-On
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Emmet 

I have detailed the issue extensively on this thread. There are now at least half a dozen other posts detailing the same issue, and there are a significant amount of users commenting on these posts. I'm not quite sure what 'reaching out to me' directly is going to achieve, but if you want to, please feel free to contact me.

jquam
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Emmet -- I am experiencing essentially the same issue as @Burnt-On detailed so comprehensively here, and would also appreciate some outreach. I'm not sure how I can put this more clearly: The issue essentially makes Dropbox unusable in the way I've come to rely on it in my workflow. It's a little disconcerting that DB doesn't seem to have addressed it in the last few months.

Need more support?