cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable folder image preview

Disable folder image preview

gem0303
Helpful | Level 6

Is there a way to prevent a specific folder tile from showing a preview of the images inside it? I have NSFW images inside some subfolders and don't want them visible from the parent folder.

14 Replies 14

simonDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Circling back to this thread. While this wasn't the primary ask of this thread, I did see it mentioned in other comments. In an effort to make it easier to visually differentiate between folders and files in grid view, we've recently introduced folder icons on the tiles that reflect the status of the folder (individual, shared, etc). Please let me know what you think.

We are also still considering ways to give you more control over whether the collage of thumbnails is shown and where.

gem0303
Helpful | Level 6

It's not as clear as having the collage superimposed over the folder because your eye still has to look in two places to confirm it's a folder (the photos and then down to the icon). But it is a definite improvement compared to not having that icon at all. Thanks for the update!

simonDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

@gem0303 great to hear that it's an improvement! We'll keep looking at ways to make this even better. 

charlottesimmons
New member | Level 2

I agree with this idea - having the option to view as "collage stack" is distracting, but some people may want it. I liked the mockup of the folder image behind the collage. looks differentiated nicely, rather than just plain white background with no folder icon. 

Yuikol
Experienced | Level 12

@simonDBX 

This thread is old but I'm just seeing this change today on my windows laptop using chrome. Was there a bigger roll out? Is there a toggle button to turn it off?

I share the same sentiments as others with private photos (not necessarily NSFW even) and just the visual clutter. I would go as far to say this is a major privacy concern and the feature should be disabled immediately site wide until a fix is made. Then rollout with the feature off by default.

Imagine you want to pull up something in a business meeting presentation. Or your a professor in front of a class. Or someone is simply behind your shoulder. Switching to list is just not a good solution. Especially in my case where this feature presented itself out of nowhere and I had a close call.

Let me vent a little bit more please. I just don't understand not giving people choice. Being able to customize how you engage with dropbox is a great marketing point. Why force change on users, especially ones that rely on the software to make a living.

Please consider quickly.

Need more support?