cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Paper Error 404

Dropbox Paper Error 404

erwevan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I often use .paper files for taking notes and tracking the progress of tasks with checkboxes on my work team. I'm using Windows 11 with the latest version of the Dropbox app (175.4.5569 at the time of writing). Every time I open a .paper file from my file explorer, it opens a tab in my browser that reads "Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for." The URL also switches to https://www.dropbox.com/desktop_login. If I check the Dropbox icon in my task bar, I'm still logged in to the app.

I can open the same exact .paper files from the Dropbox folder structure in my browser with no problems. This has been my temporary workaround, but the problem is still annoying and inconvenient. My boss, who uses a macOS, doesn't have this problem. I've tried logging out and logging back in and uninstalling and reinstalling the program with no success. Hyperlinks with the URL to the .paper file don't work either. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Opening from a hyperlinkOpening from a hyperlinkOpening from the .paper file in my file explorerOpening from the .paper file in my file explorer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

erwevan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Checking on this a few days later, the issue has returned. I tried disabling my extensions on Firefox and discovered that the Containers function in Simple Tab Groups seemed to be causing the problem. Hopefully this helps anyone in the same boat!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @erwevan, let's jump right into this! 

Do you notice this behavior with all of your Paper files, and if so, when did this start happening? 

Also, from the screenshots it seems like you're using Firefox as your default browser. Can you make sure it's updated with the latest update if there is any? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

erwevan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, I thought I had the latest version of Firefox. That about fixed it 🤦

Thanks!

erwevan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Checking on this a few days later, the issue has returned. I tried disabling my extensions on Firefox and discovered that the Containers function in Simple Tab Groups seemed to be causing the problem. Hopefully this helps anyone in the same boat!

Need more support?