cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 404 on a shared link

Error 404 on a shared link

vsrc
New member | Level 2

I keep getting a 404 error on a link shared by a co-worker. I was able to open it few hours ago - and now all of sudden it does not work anymore. Co-worker has neither deleted the link nor removed the shared link that the folder was associated with. Would kindly appreciate advice on potential steps I can take to try to solve this. 

22 Replies 22

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @vsrc, thanks for messaging the Community.

If there is a 404 message, it means that the URL no longer exists.

This could be due to the the link itself being deleted, or the file or folder it's referring to being deleted.

Can they confirm that the shared link still exists on the same file on their account?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DashSVK
New member | Level 2

Hello,

After creating a link for sharing it does not work (404) when used by someone other than me when I'm logged in and neither does sending invites work. It says I've reached a limit though I've sent only two invites last week.

What could be the issue? Some users say they had suspicious files but I have only photos and videos.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @DashSVK 

If thats happening your sharing rights have been removed - either due to suspicious files, or, spamming via referrals (i.e. there have been complaints). It is possible that its a false positive. 

Hopefully somebody will pick this up on Monday when support opens and help you. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DashSVK, I hope you're doing well!

Do you still face the same issue on your end? 

Let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

DashSVK
New member | Level 2

Hi,

It works now so it seems all is well again.

Thanks.

giulia111
New member | Level 2
Hello everybody,
I have a problem. I sent a link to my clients, but they're saying that they’re getting a 404 error.  I'm sure that I didn't delete the file/folder. Everything seems working, because I'm the only one who can open correctly the file by that link. 
Thank you. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @giulia111, I'd be happy to help! 

If you paste the link on an incognito tab on your browser when you're not signed into your account, are you able to see the content? 

Have you tried deleting the link, then re-creating it? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

kathycap
New member | Level 2

Yesterday all clients started getting error 404 on ALL shared links - worked fine before and now NO links are working.  business depends on clients accessing these links to see business profiles of companies they may want to buy.  Need this up and running NOW.   Can anyone help?  been thru all trouble shooting ideas with no success.  

Rich
Super User II

@kathycap wrote:

Yesterday all clients started getting error 404 on ALL shared links - worked fine before and now NO links are working.

It sounds like your links or ability to share has been banned. You'll likely need to contact Support.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    pip din Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Sajaaa New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?