cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File/Video won't save to iPad or iPhone

File/Video won't save to iPad or iPhone

sarah2023
Explorer | Level 3

Hi - When using the Dropbox App on my iPhone or iPad, I want to download or save the video. I select 'save video', it starts the download process and when its finished I get the error message "Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device."  It is an mp4 video which I used to be able to save with no issues.  I can download it using my computer but not using the mobile app.  Looking for some help with this please.  Thank you!

28 Replies 28

sarah2023
Explorer | Level 3

Happy Monday! Thank you!

I had already done these things but did them again.  Removed and installed app, checked for updates to app (none) and restarted iPad…I can download or it goes through the process but can not find the file on my iPad or iPhone anywhere…

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try marking the file as offline first in the Dropbox mobile app? 

Once it's offline, try exporting it to your iPad storage, and it should be visible in the iOS Files app in the On my iPad / Downloads section.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sarah2023
Explorer | Level 3

Hi - That process worked for my iPad but not my phone.  It seems like a lot of steps just to move a file from the Dropbox app to my device.  What happened to just saving to the Camera Roll?  Is this something that can be looked into further? Are there other people with this same issue?  I really do appreciate all the help and this will have to work for now on my iPad but not sure what to do about the iPhone… thank you.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the file is large, marking it as offline means that the export would usually work, since the file already exists in the Dropbox mobile app, instead of having to download it directly.

How much free space does the iPhone have in the storage?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

sarah2023
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

My iPhone has 84.6GB of 256GB used...

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sarah2023, can you try to save another video of the same type? Does it work?

Do you have a rough idea, as to how large the video you're trying to export is? Lastly, let me know if you're using WiFi or cellular data. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Paul James
New member | Level 2

Hello to anyone having this issue, where a Premiere Pro exported .mp4 video file will not save to your iPhone, and particularly when saving from DropBox. I have root-caused 2 contributing factors: 1. Exporting using 'hardware' and not 'software' under the 'performance' setting can cause the problem. 2. I found a 6k aspect ratio also caused the issue - when I reduced the export aspect ratio to 4k or below, the file saved to the iPhone as expected. I hope this helps someone.

kingsley_tv
New member | Level 2

Hi,

i recorded my video on my pc using obs and when ive uploaded it to my dropbox on pc i then go to my dropbox ipad pro app and export it onto my ipad pro but it says cant save video to device even though i have enough room, it does say this video may not be saveable on my device is there anything i need to do in order to save it to my ipad pro and keeping the good quality of the video?

i used to use mobizen and never had an issue with that and was able to upload my mobizen videos to dropbox on pc then export them from the dropbox ipad app onto my ipad but obs is a lot better.

please can someone help me?

thank you for taking the time to read my message. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kingsley_tv, welcome to our Community!

Can you first try to make this file available offline and then try to save it to your device and let us know if it helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?