cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File could not be opened on my new mac mini m1

File could not be opened on my new mac mini m1

dlund
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone 🙂 

I hope someone can help me - I just got a new mac mini m1, and downloaded dropbox, and installed it. I chose to have to keep the files online to save my space, but now I get the message that the files could not be opened, and I can't figure out why. 

Screenshot 2021-07-11 at 08.04.57.png

I hope someone can help me solve this 🙂 

kind regards Diana

7 Replies 7

Re: File could not be opened on my new mac mini m1

Mark
Super User II

Try seeing if you can right click and turn to save locally first?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dlund
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, but that would not really save the long-term problem, of saving the space on my local drive - It should be working without should it not? 

Mark
Super User II

It should but thats why I asked to troubleshoot....

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dlund
Explorer | Level 3

ah ok 🙂 

It works if I download it first 🙂

Rich
Super User II

@dlund wrote:

... that would not really save the long-term problem, of saving the space on my local drive ...

That's not how it works. Even if you don't mark it as Local first, Dropbox still needs to download the file back to your computer before it can be opened. It can't be opened directly from the cloud.

What should happen is that when you try to open a file that is marked as Online-only, Dropbox should download the file, mark it as Local, and then your application should open it. When you're done with the file you would need to mark it as Online-only again.

It sounds like your application isn't giving Dropbox enough time to download the file before it tries to open it, or Dropbox isn't getting the signal that it needs to download the file.

dlund
Explorer | Level 3

ok, makes sense, but what to do about it? 🙂 

Clar2
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem, on a MacBook Air M1. It happens if I try to open any dropbox file from the Finder.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Clar2 New member | Level 2
    dlund Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?