cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Takeout export fail to Dropbox.

Google Takeout export fail to Dropbox.

Thai_Nguyen
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

Did anyone try to transfer Google data to Dropbox directly?

As you know that Google offered a tool call Google Takeout which helps user in a great way to transfer all your personal data (Drive, Photos, Calendar...) to other cloud services (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive...) directly. With this direct transfer feature, user don't need to use the classic way that download data to local laptop then upload to Dropbox or Onedrive...

The feature seems perfact and innovation. However, my real experience cannot say happy at all. There are some issues:

- Exports always fail. Everytime I export, there are files which randomly cannot upload to Dropbox. Goolge mark these exports as fail and suggest to export again and again. This issue I didn't experience if I export to Google Drive.

- Google Takeout split my 272 GB data into 69 files, but as I checked in Dropbox it becomes 135 files with 540 GB. I have no idea from where the extra photos come.

- Export time takes days or even weeks to complete.

7 Replies 7

Thai_Nguyen
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

I exported data from Google to Dropbox through Google Takeout. Original data size is 270 GB. However, it turned to 540 GB in Dropbox. 

Anybody experience the same issue?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Thai_Nguyen, how are you today? 

It sounds like what you're describing has to do more with Google Takeout than with us. And I think it'd be better for you to reach out to them if the transfer didn't exactly work out the way it was intended.

However, keep in mind that we have this relevant Help Center article, that can tell you how to copy your files from Google Drive to Dropbox. 

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Thai_Nguyen
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan ,

Thank you for your replying and the link to the help. 

From the export of Google Takeout, I could see they mentioned there are 69 files in total, 2GB each. 

However, when I check in Dropbox, it becomes 136 file, 2GB each. I have not get a chance to check what files are dubplicated in these 136 files. 

I will crosscheck again with Google Team.  However, this issue seems like integration at both sides. So need support at both teams.

Regards,

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Thai_Nguyen, it sounds like this is a core issue on the root of the export, which is on Google's end. 

However, can you send me a couple of screenshots from the process you follow on your end, in order for me to have visual? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Thai_Nguyen
Explorer | Level 4

hi @Megan , 

I made a comparison at both cases: Google Takeout export to Dropbox and Google Takeout export to Google Drive. 

As the comparison, export to Google Drive take no issue. But inaccuracy happened to Dropbox. 

Regards,

Dropbox Export.jpgGoogle Drive Export.JPG

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Thai_Nguyen, thanks for the screenshots! 

It seems that the error "upload failed" is coming directly from Google Takeout, and not us, in order to be able to troubleshoot much in this case.

If I were you, I would however check the space you have in your Dropbox account, and what you see there. And also the syncing status of our app. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

PaxtonIT
Helpful | Level 5

It is worth considering using a third-party migration tool specifically designed for transferring data directly between cloud storage providers such as ShareGate, Gs Richcopy 360, and Cloudfuze. These tools often offer more reliable and efficient transfer processes, and they may be able to handle larger datasets more effectively.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PaxtonIT Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Thai_Nguyen Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?