cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I save my files locally?

How can I save my files locally?

Robert Gray
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I'm trying to upload some large media files on my desktop. The files show up in my Dropbox directory, but I am unable to download them so I can access them offline. I've tried countless times but nothing works. What is the.correct procedure and.steps? Again I want to download them on my remote PC. Many thanks for your insight and suggeations

8 Replies 8

Robert Gray
Explorer | Level 3
PS of course I've shared the files on Dropbox and then tried to download them. I've clicked on Save to disk. None of this helps. I've tri d to save the files to disk and then move them to the relevant folder. Nothing helps. Thanks again

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Robert Gray! Hope you’re doing great.

Just to clarify, are you trying to download these files directly via the Dropbox website? If yes, what’s their total size?

If you’re using the desktop app instead, are these files set to be online-only? You can send over a screenshot of what you see, as well.

Keep me in the loop.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Robert Gray
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Nancy, thanks so much for you help. Hügel appreciated. The five files are located on my PC and come to about 20GB. (I have a plan that offers 2 TB storage, there's plenty of room on my PC, in my account - and on the Android tablet I'm trying to download the files to (because the Internet in Nepal where I am visiting is unreliable and slow.) On the tablet I define the five files as Make Available Offline (three dots on right) and then select Save to device. hope that helps. Thanks again!

Robert Gray
Explorer | Level 3
PS I'm using the Android app.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Gotcha @Robert Gray!

Would you mind clarifying your OS, and the Dropbox version you're using on your device? Just making sure they're not obsolete, or need to be updated. 

Also, you mentioned that you're using both a PC, and a tablet, right? Do you wish to make the files available offline on the PC, and download them locally to the device on the mobile app?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Robert Gray
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, thanks for your help. All OS and apps are up-to-date. PC OS is Win11, current updates. DropBox app is 354.2.2 on Android 13. I copied the media files to the dropbox folder on my PC in hopes I could then download them on my Galaxy tablet. I just selected Make Available Offline for one file. It downloaded and played correctly. But then I clicked on Save to Device and now the file is downloading again. (Downloading stopped when I left the folder listing to check App version.) Many thanks 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, Robert! I know it may be hard, but can you check this via a different WiFi connection/cellular data on your mobile device, if that’s possible? Does that seem to work better?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Robert Gray
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks Nancy. I have tried a few wifi channels, Nome work. Tonight I'll be in Doha where I hope so speeds will allow direct transfer without having to use DropBox. Thanks again. I'll report
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert Gray Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?