cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print and Export options vanished from Dropbox App

Print and Export options vanished from Dropbox App

americanpunkin
Explorer | Level 3

I've used Dropbox on my Samsung S20 FE for a long time (and on previous phones). I've always been able to print my documents directly from the app. Tonight I tried to do so and the print option had vanished. It used to be down at the bottom of the option list, near "delete". The export option has vanished as well, because I could export the file to Samsung Print Service Plugin and print that way. My "share" tab has "send link" "send copy of file", and "copy link" as options.  The "open with" tab has "Microsoft Word", "Docs", and "Open Word".

I checked the app on my Lenovo tablet. The export option is still there, but no print option under that tab. Nor is there a print option anywhere else. Share goes directly to an email link.

I've looked online for an answer and found nothing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone and that did nothing. Any idea what is going on? I need to be able to print from my phone because I don't always have access to my laptop. I have Dropbox Basic and have had it since at least 2014.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @americanpunkin, let's jump right into this! 

Can  you confirm the OS, and Dropbox version on your mobile app?

When did you first start to notice this behavior, and does it happen on all of your files?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

americanpunkin
Explorer | Level 3

Howdy!

Let's see, I'm running Android 13 on a Samsung S20 FE.  The Dropbox version is whatever is most recent--I uninstalled the app, then redownloaded the app from Playstore and reinstalled.

I thought I could print directly from Dropbox as of December 2023, but I'm not positive on that. It happens on all my documents and spreadsheets, but not pdfs or jpgs.

I cannot print if I open in Docs and I don't have Microsoft Word on my phone. However, I did discover that if I open them in Open Word there was a print option, which is helpful. I've never used Open Word, didn't know what it was, which is probably why I didn't try it earlier. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @americanpunkin, the export option has been moved to the Share button and is the 'Export a copy' option.

The Print button should still be visible on all versions of the app. Could you attach a screenshot showing that it's missing?

Is this happening is all folders on your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

americanpunkin
Explorer | Level 3

Hopefully this shows what I mean. I can open and read documents and spreadsheets in Dropbox directly with no problem, but there is no option to print them unless I open again in Open Word or Open Excel.

doc and docx optionsdoc and docx optionsopen with optionsopen with optionsxls optionsxls optionsopen with optionsopen with optionspng, pdf, and jpg optionspng, pdf, and jpg options

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @americanpunkin. I checked this with our team in the meantime, and from what I could find, the “Print” option isn’t available for Microsoft files, but for other types of files, like images and PDFs. 

I can pass this as feedback to our team though, if you wish.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    americanpunkin Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?