cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Great and all as it is to hear how we use Dropbox, we want to know how you use it! Day to day, big projects, sharing files with friends and family - we want to know about it.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to external storage, Chromebook insufficient internal

Transfer to external storage, Chromebook insufficient internal

HankMaki
Explorer | Level 4

This should be a simple problem to solve.  The fact that it isn't is really pissing me off.

A Dropbox user shared a 2.7gb file with me before I had a Dropbox account.  I was only able to free up 1.9gb of internal storage making a direct download impossible at the time.  So I signed up for the free account to accept the share while I ran to a store and bought an external hard drive.  I was grateful at the time they let this one file slide past the 2gb free cap.

The external drive works fine and I can move local files onto it, but the bulk of internal storage is apps and data that I cannot move to removable storage so I am still unabe to free the 2.7gb plus the size of Dropbox app required to sync the file on internal storage.  There is a red X next to the file in the Dropbox app.  I do not know what that means.

I need the file to go straight from my online Dropbox to the external storage, using internal storage only to host the Dropbox app and a little partial file cache during the transfer.  But I've tried copy, move, and save to devce and they all say my device has insufficient storage.  Export cannot even see external storage at all.  A few times it attempted the transfer and failed partway through when it completely filled the remaining internal storage.  I was lucky to be able to delete the partial files it left behind as the lack of space was slowing down the Chromebook terribly.  I have 4tb free externally and now 1.8gb free internally.  The original Dropbox user has since deleted the file from their account to save space so a direct download is no longer an option.  I just want this file off Dropbox and saved locally.  I don't even want Dropbox anymore but it seems like they are holding my file hostage constantly asking me to upgrade because I have exceeded the storage limit.

I would imagine this is one of the basic scenarios Dropbox was created to solve.  Is there some setting I have to change to make this work?  If so, why on earth isn't that the default?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Transfer to external storage, Chromebook insufficient internal

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @HankMaki!

It's interesting indeed, I'm sure this will be helpful for anyone else who might be having a similar issue, so thanks again for taking the time to share this!

If you need anything else, I'm just a post away. 😁

I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead Hank!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @HankMaki, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Since you're not able to choose the external location when exporting from the app, have you perhaps tried downloading from the website?

As you have the folder stored in your account, when you view your Files page online you should have the option for the folder in the "..." menu to download.

With this, are you able to choose the external storage to download the folder there directly?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

HankMaki
Explorer | Level 4

Clicking Download starts download automatically to Downloads folder on internal storage which will eventually fail because I don't have 2.7GB of internal storage free.  I dont see any option to choose download location.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @HankMaki!

This would be more of a browser or OS settings for the downloads location.

If you haven't already, can you try these steps to either choose a different default location, or enable the option to always ask you where you want to download?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

HankMaki
Explorer | Level 4

Changing the ChromeOS setting to prompt for download location did allow me to save the file to to the external drive.  After that, I deleted the file from the Dropbox web interface.

However, besides the 1 functioning copy on external drive with a (1) appended to the end, it also placed a 0byte file without the (1) , another reported 2.7gb file in my Downloads folder in internal storage which fails to open), an additional nonfunctioning reported 2.7gb file in my local Dropbox area in the Files app despite the corresponding file having been deleted from the Dropbox web interface. 

I was careful to delete previous partial failed downloads except for the local Dropbox instance prior to the one that worked.

All these nonfunctioning files took up remaining area of internal storage which was causing problems so I deleted them and rebooted.

So far so god.  I got my file, got my internal storage back, deleted the file from web interface so it no longer nags me about being full.
Out of curiosity I open the Dropbox app and it immediately warns me that my Dropbox is full and starts downloading the 2.7gb to my internal storage AGAIN!!!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of notification within the app that the account is full and trying to sync, @HankMaki?

The visual would be helpful just to make sure we're on the same page here.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

HankMaki
Explorer | Level 4

I didn't take a screenshot at the time because I just wanted to be done with it all, but today I had a clue while looking for things to delete.  The unwanted download was happening in the blank space beneath the notifications.  A download progress bar.  Today, it isn't doing it.  I think because the original file share link has now expired.  Its been some time now so I dont remember exactly how I got the file link among the chrome apps, but without a proper deskrop to place links maybe they all go there.  When I click on the black file link, it shows the link expired screen now.  It is possible that instead of clicking the blue dropbox app icon, I was clicking the black dropbox file link icon next to it.   I can't be sure but it seems plausible.  Hope this helps someone as confused as I was.

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 7.58.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 8.02.31 AM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @HankMaki!

It's interesting indeed, I'm sure this will be helpful for anyone else who might be having a similar issue, so thanks again for taking the time to share this!

If you need anything else, I'm just a post away. 😁

I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead Hank!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

rholmes987
New member | Level 2

@HankMaki wrote:

This should be a simple problem to solve.  The fact that it isn't is really pissing me off.

WOW! Me, too! I've been using dropbox for years. It's never been so difficult. Are they trying to force us to store things in some mysterious place that others control? I'd prefer to store my own data where I want to store it! I've always used an external drive. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rholmes987 New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    HankMaki Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?