cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off "Suggested because you work on this a lot"

Turn off "Suggested because you work on this a lot"

j0shh4nxd
New member | Level 2

Hi, I recently subscribed to Dropbox and I do like it overall but there is one thing that irks me.
In the dropbox application it regularly pins folders that were "suggested because you work on this a lot." I tried google searching if there was any way to toggle this off but couldn't find anything. I personally don't like feeling like my workspace is cluttered and those suggestions just rubs me the wrong way. 

Does anyone know of a way to toggle it off?

I am running Dropbox on MacOS by the way.

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @j0shh4nxd, thanks for checking in with us. 

From what I understand, you're referring to the For you tab, which includes suggestions based on your activity.

Although there isn't currently a way to completely disable it, you should be able to right-click on a suggestion and select Dismiss.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us another shout. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Eric C.3
Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to like the Dropbox app, but this is very annoying.  Every time I launch the app, I have to "dismiss suggestion" on about 4 items in the Starred Folders section.  Sometimes a folder is already starred and the app adds it as a suggestion anyway.

This is something that needs to be addressed and an option should be added to disable this feature.

DebD
New member | Level 2

Having to dismiss every suggestion is EXTREMELY annoying. I don't want you or some faulty AI trying to figure out what I am working on. Or if you do, it should be in a very small, unobtrusive space, not glaring at you when you are trying to do something. I have no idea where it is getting this list . It is completely wrong and it is totally interrupting my workflow and my work.  I am getting more and more frustrated with DropBox. Perhaps a very poor algorithm is including files/folders that were moved for the purposes of reorganization?

DebD
New member | Level 2

And there is no "For You" tab. I have no idea what you are talking about. I am on the web app, because you removed the desktop app and apparently this is the only way to control anything. "Upload" is highlighted and is the only thing that half-resembles a "tab."

Nothing seems to be working on this thing and I am about to switch to OneDrive, but I have used DropBox so long I hate to do that and OneDrive, which we were forced to use at work, has its own issues. Sync fails for certain folders out of the blue and fixing it is very annoying. 

PLEASE FIX DROPBOX. YOU NEED TO FIX IT BEFORE OFFERING NEW APPS. There is no way I am buying a new app from you when this is so poor. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DebD, could you clarify what you mean by buying the app? The desktop app hasn't been removed, it's still available when you install it from this page, and it is free to install.

Regarding the syncing issue, could you let me know more information on this matter?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GisaGirl
New member | Level 2

This is a bigger problem for me because I have photos and personal documents in Dropbox that I DO NOT want to show up on my screen for all to see when I open the site. I am not talking about anything inappropriate, just personal and it is awkward if I happen to open it in a coffee shop or at work.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GisaGirl New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    DebD New member | Level 2
    Eric C.3 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?