cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a dl.dropboxusercontent.com download link behave differently?

Why does a dl.dropboxusercontent.com download link behave differently?

Herb N.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A friend and I share mp3 files through dropbox though I use dropbox.cm and he uses dl.dropboxusercontent.com. The link I send him looks and behaves differently than the one he sends me. He gets a button to download the file while his link opens Windows Media Player and I must go through a few more steps to download the file. This is non-copyrighted material, by the way. The only way to get his link when clicked is to add a suffix with the characters - ?dl=0 to the end of the link. What gives with this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There's no way to specify which domain is used. Different domains are used for different features. You just create a share link (or Public link if you still have a Public folder) and the link generated is the one you use.

Mod note: edited to update links in post [last updated 2022]

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

He's likely sharing a link from the Public folder, which is a deprecated method of sharing files and only available to older accounts that already had the capability.

Matthew L.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

how do you get the share the file with dl.dropboxusercontent.com
I can't seem to do anything to get that

Herb N.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

To Matthew L., I use dropbox.com my friend uses dl.dropboxusercontent.com. He tells me that he can create a link on the dl.dropboxusercontent.com website to share an mp3 file that can be downloaded rather than just played by Media Player which is the problem he was having.

Taher M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

how to use dropboxusercontent

Yomi O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How watch the video

ali r.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

how watch the video

ali r.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

how watch the video for dropboxuserconnet

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Ali - there is no video. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

shrikrishna M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also can't use contents on Google+, the webpage spins and opens an advertisement or stocks to playstore focussing an irrelevant app to download.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Aplha7878 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    tanosaur Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?