cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Some Files Sync, Others Do Not

Files of a specific user don't sync to my desktop app

DolphinRadio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I run a community radio station; several program producers upload their prerecorded show files to Dropbox and these automatically sync to the local Windows PC.  This works like proverbial clockwork!  One station staff member, however, uploads her files to Dropbox.com, but they never show up in the local folder; I have to go to the website and "hand" download them.  I think everything is set as it should be (she, I, and the station itself are the only ones with control over her folder).

I have searched and read and tried virtually every vaguely related solution I can find, but still I can't figure out how to remedy this.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Recipes?  Colorful anecdotes?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DolphinRadio wrote:

One station staff member, however, uploads her files to Dropbox.com, but they never show up in the local folder ...

First make sure she's not using any characters in the file name that would be illegal on your operating system. For instance, if she's on a Mac and you're on a PC, she can use certain characters that are reserved on Windows, so Dropbox can't sync files that use them in their names.

If that doesn't resolve it, make sure that the folder she's uploading them to hasn't been removed from your computer using Selective Sync. Go into the Selective Sync settings and make sure that the folder is checked.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DolphinRadio wrote:

One station staff member, however, uploads her files to Dropbox.com, but they never show up in the local folder ...

First make sure she's not using any characters in the file name that would be illegal on your operating system. For instance, if she's on a Mac and you're on a PC, she can use certain characters that are reserved on Windows, so Dropbox can't sync files that use them in their names.

If that doesn't resolve it, make sure that the folder she's uploading them to hasn't been removed from your computer using Selective Sync. Go into the Selective Sync settings and make sure that the folder is checked.

DolphinRadio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply.  She is, in fact, using a Mac and the station is using Windows; I will double-check to see if she is using any special characters.  This may be the solution!

DolphinRadio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Indeed, her filenames were filled with odd characters.  I just renamed a file online and it popped up immediately in Dropbox locally.  I emailed the show producer and suggested a simplified naming convention that does NOT have colons and commas and extraneous characters.

Many thanks!

Need more support?