cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Czech diacritics characters in filename

Czech diacritics characters in filename

CFGtech
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox,

I would like to discuss one specific issue witch we are having with our Business dropbox. We are using http requests to communicate with out Dropbox via Integromat(Czech solution).

Issue we are dealing with
1) We need to use diacritics in our Head (Dropbox-API-Arg) in API requests.

Everything is working fine until we put some of our Czech diacritics characters in the „file name“ such as „ŠČÍÉ“ . Then the request is not going through.

Do you have some experience with this type of problem?

I would like to kindly ask for your help and support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@CFGtech Thanks for the report! It sounds like you're referring to making content-upload or -download calls on the Dropbox API, where you have non-ASCII characters to send in the 'Dropbox-API-Arg' HTTP header. 

You can do so, but you'll need to make sure you're encoding those characters before putting them in the HTTP header, as HTTP headers don't support them natively. We have a guide here that covers how to do so:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/json-encoding

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @CFGtech,

The answer is very simple, but unfortunately not good. Dropbox Unicode support is not full. I already have mentioned for this here (including in a ticket). Your query is one more voice. :wink:

Let's hope we will see proper support someday.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@CFGtech Thanks for the report! It sounds like you're referring to making content-upload or -download calls on the Dropbox API, where you have non-ASCII characters to send in the 'Dropbox-API-Arg' HTTP header. 

You can do so, but you'll need to make sure you're encoding those characters before putting them in the HTTP header, as HTTP headers don't support them natively. We have a guide here that covers how to do so:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/json-encoding

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB,

Sorry for my fast response. Seems in particular case the names are not encoded properly, Yes. I just assumed that a developer know that http(s) transport is ascii-based.

One provocative question in this context: Is You site (dropbox.com) follow the rules You just describe above? What I mean: After a try to create directory named "😀😇😈😉" (for example), the following message appears:

изображение.png

May be www.dropbox.com is buggy!? :confounded:

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Здравко I can only provide support for the Dropbox API itself, not the Dropbox website, so I'm afraid I can't offer insight on your question.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Ok, improper formulation.

Is the Dropbox API support all unicode characters, i.e. such that can't fit in 2 bytes?

The same question in different words!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Здравко No, the Dropbox API only supports characters in the Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane. I'll pass this along as a feature request though!

CFGtech
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

we got a solution from Integromat support. Where we used _Query String_  `arg`  instead of _Headers_ 'Dropbox-API-Arg'. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CFGtech Helpful | Level 5
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?