cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binary Diff ?

Binary Diff ?

developedsoftwa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Seems so stupid to have to upload a whole file when using the API even if 1 byte has changed.

Are you able to offer a way of updating a certain block so we as developers can do the binary diff our end and upload the parts that have changed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the post! The Dropbox API doesn't currently offer this, but we'll consider it a feature request. I can't promise if or when that would be implemented and released though.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the post! The Dropbox API doesn't currently offer this, but we'll consider it a feature request. I can't promise if or when that would be implemented and released though.

Berk D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Greg,

If not, what is this? https://www.dropbox.com/help/8 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That's referring to the desktop client, which uses a different mechanism not available in the Dropbox API.

waltertross
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

is there external access to the feature request, so that we can see whether and how it is being taken care of?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@waltertross We don't have a public feature request tracker. This forum thread itself serves as reference to this request, and I'll follow up here if/when I have any update on this. I don't have any news to report on this feature request right now. 

waltertross
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you very much, Greg.

I would like to add the following note:

There is a trivial case of the binary diff, which is the case of files that are only appended to. A use case are log files, another is a project I have in mind, and I'm sure that there are others. If engineers at Dropbox are afraid of handing over the binary diff algorithm to developers, they should keep in mind that just giving them the opportunity to specify what has been APPENDED to a file could make many people happy, including me 😉

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@waltertross Thanks for the note!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    waltertross Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?