cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control selective sync programmatically

Control selective sync programmatically

Igal Tabachnik
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to control selective sync programmatically? There's a certain folder I want to sync, for example, in certain hours of the day. With a cron job, I could instruct selective sync to include/exclude a folder.

Is this possible? Can you make it possible? 🙂

Thanks!

36 Replies 36

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the detailed feedback Adam! We don't have another place to vote on these requests; your post here is fine. Unfortunately I don't have a good solution to offer you though. Apologies I don't have any news!

Jason R. C.
Helpful | Level 6

I also would like this feature to avoid syncing other suppert files like tox virtual environments.

b9chris
Helpful | Level 6

This is my #1 problem with Dropbox. Either:

1. It's on while coding in Visual Studio, which constantly breaks the application while running and continually causes files I'm not editing to prompt me for reload. It occasionally corrupts my work, swapping in a slightly older version of a file I was just working on.

2. It's off while coding, which is the majority of my day, eliminating the real-time backup benefits of Dropbox.

3. It's off Selective Sync for my code folder, which is just 2 again

4. I Selective Sync every single scratch folder Visual Studio uses, every single bin and obj folder throughout my machine, which is at least 500 folders and increases over time as I take on new projects.

It's been 5 years of this. It's time for Dropbox to adopt a .gitignore style file. Heck just give me literally that file and name it .dropboxignore

Jonathan L.24
Helpful | Level 5
I'd like to see this too.

IvanSt
New member | Level 2
Need this functionality so much..

stege
New member | Level 2

@Leah C.1 wrote:

I think you might be able to do this via the Dropbox Core API.

The trick would be to not sync the folder via the desktop client (by unselecting it using selective sync). Then, with your cron job, maybe check if any files need to be updated and use the /files_put method to update any changed files.

Does that sound like what you're looking for?

stege
New member | Level 2

@jeff o.4 wrote:

is there a way to tell the dropbox client to ignore certain directories and/or files in a manner similar to a .gitignore file?    

sometimes i create numerous temporary files within a directory that is sync'd via dropbox and i'd like to be able to tell the client to not bother syncing the temp files.  

of course, i can do this via the client's preferences panel, but this is onerous at best.  being able to do so from the command-line would be awesome.

thanks!

philip-lf
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Greg, any update on a selective sync API or dropbox ignore file? thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, I don't have an update on this.

blizzrdof77
Helpful | Level 6

This would be extremely useful. Any progress @Greg-DB?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Adam l.11 New member | Level 2
    Talmo P. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?