cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Vincent M.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm using my companies business dropbox account. And it created a folder called "Dropbox (my companies name here)".

Is there a way to remove the space between "Dropbox" and "("? I don't want to have a space in the path. So the folder name will become "Dropbox-Company" or "Dropbox_Company" or something, but not space.

It seems impossible.

138 Replies 138

brandt Broussard
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Are you guys going to acknowledge this issue and maybe resolve? 

You would have more business if you would actually work on real world issues that we face with your software. 

folder naming with spaces is a no no, 

I would also like to exclude files you monitor, expcally .lock files since your sofware gets hung up until the software that generated the .lock file is closed. 

Bigk71
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
How do I read texts

cjrhoads
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey @Bigk71 , 

Welcome to the group.  But I'm afraid your questions doesn't make any sense at all.  You will have to give some context and make sure you are in the appropriate area. 

nyonya
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

With space in the dropbox folder name, many programs cannot find the path to a file (e.g., Stata), which makes dropbox close to unusable. Why is it so difficult to fix the issue for developers after 6 years of complaints? 

cjrhoads
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's a great question!  I suppose they have better things to do than to cater to their customers.  ;->

Keep in mind, of course, that this is only an issue with the Business version of Dropbox.  An individual/Personal version of Dropbox has all the same capabilities except for "team management", and doesn't have the problem with putting a space in the folder name. 

nyonya
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Good point, I used to have a personal Dropbox account as well (which I liked more), but our company requires that we do everything through the Business account (no flexibility on this).

emilbebri-cbs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

this is so ridiculous that they haven't fixed this yet. completely unbelievable.

recohen3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has been going on for years and years. Dropbox does not care about its customers clearly.

chrisleathers
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As a work around.. you can create a virtual drive pointing to a folder in drop box.. so instead of the path being D:/dropbox (Personal)/myfolder.. the virtual drive would create a pointer and you would be able to use Z:/myfolder.. 

This gets you around the issue of the space and the parentheses.. atleast in some cases.. 

https://www.askvg.com/create-a-virtual-drive-for-your-desired-folder-in-my-computer-using-subst-comm...

cjrhoads
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, ChrisLeathers.

I appreciate your trying to help, but having another alias or a mapped drive to the folder with the space doesn't help the main issue. When backing up or transferring info to any unix-based operating system or website, the space is problematic.  While a few programs that cannot access the folder with a space may be able to find the file with a mapped drive, those would be few and far between, relying upon the same operating system that allows the space.   Otherwise, the program must use a %20 in place of the space. 

Besides - it is just plain poor design to put spaces in filenames or foldernames. 

Need more support?