cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Vincent M.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm using my companies business dropbox account. And it created a folder called "Dropbox (my companies name here)".

Is there a way to remove the space between "Dropbox" and "("? I don't want to have a space in the path. So the folder name will become "Dropbox-Company" or "Dropbox_Company" or something, but not space.

It seems impossible.

138 Replies 138

chasrmartin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As I am the person who originated this question, do you suppose someone could tell me what the solution is?

take555
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, @chasrmartin .

If you have problems your computer can't find right path,

you better read rwmorris's comment.

I don't know whether this way solve all problems this annoying root name causing though. 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Teams-admins/How-to-remove-spaces-from-Dropbox-folder-names-spaces-c...

gaoyuan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks @take555 for the workaround, but I'm really really surpised that Dropbox has left this significant problem open for such a long time :scream:. Every software engineer should be able to understand the terrible consequence of having space in a folder name. Hope it will get fixed someday.

datagen24
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I find my self in the same issue that people have complaned about in this thread for years.

I am Dropbox Reseller and lost a deal over this. It breaks things in my enviroment and i hate this behavior.

The mocking tone that dropboxers have used in this thread greatly iritate me and we will be looking for other services for our customers due to this.

the User of Spaces and Parrens should be avoided in pathing, while many GUI's allow you to do this is should be configurable (for buisness accounts it should be globaly configurable) 

rwmorris
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Where can I upvote this on the "Share an idea" section?

rwmorris
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Because I have to keep doing this, I'm providing this step-by-step for macOS.

After installing Dropbox through Sydney University business account, it creates a folder called "Dropbox (Sydney Uni)" in my home directory by default, which breaks all my code in shared projects. So I want to rename the default folder to "Dropbox" (I don't have a personal Dropbox account).

After installing Dropbox and once it has finished downloading all my files to the default directory, the blue badges will disappear and be replaced with a green tick on all the completely downloaded files. I can now begin.

1. Quit Dropbox (select the cog in the Dropbox menubar item).

2. In Finder, rename the "Dropbox (Sydney Uni)" folder to "Dropbox"

3. Open Terminal and navigate to your home directory 

cd ~

4. Create a symlink to the "Dropbox" folder with the same name as the default Dropbox directory (in my case "Dropbox (Sydney Uni)")

ln -s Dropbox Dropbox\ \(Sydney\ Uni\)

5.  Hide the new symlink so you don't have to be reminded of the stupid decisions of the Dropbox development team every day

chflags -h hidden Dropbox\ \(Sydney\ Uni\)

6. Check my work

ls -l

drwx------@ 12 rich  staff   384 19 Nov 21:10 Dropbox
lrwxr-xr-x   1 rich  staff     7 19 Nov 21:27 Dropbox (Sydney Uni) -> Dropbox

7. Restart Dropbox. It shouldn't complain about anything since it sees the new symlink as the default folder

cjrhoads
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is a MAJOR issue to me.  I teach information technology in the college of business, and I tell my students NEVER to put a space in a folder or filename because it causes SO MANY problems when moving between different operating systems.  Why would Dropbox do this?  I'm just now deciding upon whether or not to go with Dropbox Business, and this issue decided it for me.  I'm not going to do it - because of the stupid space.

BirthdayGuy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow. I complained about this years ago and it is still a problem? Amazing...

stoic
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is why our entire company is currently moving from Dropbox to MS OneDrive.  I'm sure we'll have fresh new annoyances over time, but the level of fail on this particular Dropbox bug is pretty astonishing.  Unsubscribing from this thread, it's been real.

cjrhoads
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Actually, OneDrive is much much worse.  You will be shocked at how poorly OneDrive is implemented, and how many limitations there are.  My company keeps encouraging me to use OneDrive, and so I keep trying - but every time I run into yet another "problem" syncing and saving my files with OneDrive, I go back to DropBox, which at least works reliably.

I think the problem is that OneDrive doesn't actually put the files on your physical hard drive and sync them.  It tries to use some kind of workaround with a network drive link.  This works fine for Microsoft products that are specially programmed to show you that network link so that you can save to it. But some other programs simply won't save to it, or won't open the files that are on it, because there is no way to map a drive letter to it or simply review it in your file listing in Explorer.     

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

shinbeth Experienced | Level 13
    chrisleathers Helpful | Level 5
    cjrhoads Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?