cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

"This file is locked for editing" Why can I not open my own file in my own dropbox?

"This file is locked for editing" Why can I not open my own file in my own dropbox?

Christopher L.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Several files that were created by me and stored within my dropbox now come up with the message "This file is locked for editing" followed by name of file, followed by "You can open the file as read-only". Yet all other folders and files are fine. Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Based on your evidence you should submit a ticket at  www.dropbox.com/support

Meanwhile you could try an older version of DB if you are now running 3.20.1

This thread is now closed.  Click here to ask a new question on the community.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

You have to close the program that is editing the file. This is an OS issue, not a DB issue.

Christopher L.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Rick. When you say "You have to close the program that is editing the file" The file was created in Microsoft Excel so do you mean I should close that and then try again?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Yes, and let the file "sync' before reopening.  I have even seen people double click on excel and not realize they have two open instances because one window conceals the other window.

http://www.amsys.co.uk/2014/03/word-excel-powerpoint-file-locked-editing/

Note that dropbox does not sync temp files.

John H.103
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have two computers, a Lenovo Laptop (windows) and an IMac. I can update files only on the Lenovo. When I try to use the IMac I always get the "This file is locked for editing" message and can only use the "read only" option. 

John H.103
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

regarding the above "read only" problem - does anyone have a solution?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

The file "lock" is not AFIK "sync'd" by dropbox. Turn off computer power and try again.

John H.103
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've turned off computer power to both devices more than once. This is not the solution. Anything else you can suggest?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Reboot sometimes removes spurious locks. Not today.  It DOES sound like some program opens at startup and opens the file (possible as an MRU - most recently used) for editing. IOW it is an OS problem, not a DB problem.

Paul M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Funny that it's an OS issue but if you end the dropbox task and open the file it is no longer locked.  After a period of time it locks it again and again if you end dropbox it clears the lock.  Sounds more like a dropbox bug to me - perhaps related to the dropbox collaboration feature.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
    Paul M.1 New member | Level 1
    John H.103 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?