cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Best way to share a non-user specific link to a file?

Best way to share a non-user specific link to a file?

blake03
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm looking for input on the best/future-proof way to share a Dropbox link to a file inside a shared Dropbox folder.

Currently, the members of this shared Dropbox folder will upload a photo to Dropbox and click the "Copy link" button. After doing that, they take the link that is generated and share that with 3rd party apps. The 3rd party apps use that link moving forward to create prints of the photo.

This method works fine but I've noticed that the link that is generated from the "Copy link" stage is attached to the user who created it somehow. If the user who created the link is removed from the shared Dropbox folder, the shared link they created also stops working.

Is there a way you can share a link to a file that is not associated to a user?

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @blake03

Thank you for your question and for your clear description of your use case.  I am a Product Manager at Dropbox for our Sharing Platform team.  Our team works on the underlying technology that powers the link sharing you're using.  The behavior you describe, and which Hannah confirmed, is correct.  For files, the shared links are currently user-specific. 

Now, in most cases, as you've said, this works fine.  However, we are listening to our users and are always seeking to making Dropbox even better - especially when it comes to the ease and reliability of sharing.  In cases where that original user loses access to the content, disbands their account, etc. that original link would break.  That isn't a great experience.  So we're fixing it!

In the future, all of your shared links will be tied to the content - instead of the user - which will eliminate this scenario.  In fact, some content types, like folders, already function this way - give it a try! 

I hope that helps and please continue to provide feedback in our community!  It's a valuable way for those of us working on our products to keep in direct contact with our users.

Jason

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @blake03, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community!

At the moment, shared links can only be created on a user level and can only be user-specific.

I will, however, pass your feedback along to our team about this.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @blake03

Thank you for your question and for your clear description of your use case.  I am a Product Manager at Dropbox for our Sharing Platform team.  Our team works on the underlying technology that powers the link sharing you're using.  The behavior you describe, and which Hannah confirmed, is correct.  For files, the shared links are currently user-specific. 

Now, in most cases, as you've said, this works fine.  However, we are listening to our users and are always seeking to making Dropbox even better - especially when it comes to the ease and reliability of sharing.  In cases where that original user loses access to the content, disbands their account, etc. that original link would break.  That isn't a great experience.  So we're fixing it!

In the future, all of your shared links will be tied to the content - instead of the user - which will eliminate this scenario.  In fact, some content types, like folders, already function this way - give it a try! 

I hope that helps and please continue to provide feedback in our community!  It's a valuable way for those of us working on our products to keep in direct contact with our users.

Jason

Need more support?