cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating static links

Creating static links

filkin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Is it possible to create static links in dropbox so if I keep updating a file the link will always remain as the one I chose?  The reason I ask is because we provide small plugins for download via another application and we have to change the url every time we update a plugin.  This isn't a problem for us, but it is a problem for some other parts of our team who do regression testing on some of the plugins and they don't know when we change the links.

We could of course make updating the other teams every time we update a plugin a part of our process, and they could keep updating their regression tools, but it would obviously be smarter if the links could be customised and remain static.

Thanks

Paul.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@filkin wrote:

Is it possible to create static links in dropbox so if I keep updating a file the link will always remain as the one I chose?

If you overwrite the existing file (without deleting it first) the link will remain the same. Note that some applications, while saving a file, will first delete the original and save the new version with the same name. In such a case, if Dropbox detects the deletion and syncs it, the link will change.

Only when a file is directly overwritten will the link remain the same as it was.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@filkin wrote:

Is it possible to create static links in dropbox so if I keep updating a file the link will always remain as the one I chose?

If you overwrite the existing file (without deleting it first) the link will remain the same. Note that some applications, while saving a file, will first delete the original and save the new version with the same name. In such a case, if Dropbox detects the deletion and syncs it, the link will change.

Only when a file is directly overwritten will the link remain the same as it was.

filkin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich... I'll go with instructions to always overwrite then.  Appreciate you responding.

I do think it would be a neat feature to be able to set a static link, a bit like a url shortner.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@filkin wrote:

I do think it would be a neat feature to be able to set a static link, a bit like a url shortner.

Dropbox used to have a link shortener using the domain db.tt but they eliminated that feature many years ago.

Barbara D.1
New member | Level 2

I always save my updated files from within Adobe. Use the same process every time. And sometimes the link changes, and other times it doesn't. I cannot seem to figure out why. I never delete the original file. Any suggestions?

Rich
Super User II

@Barbara D.1 wrote:

I always save my updated files from within Adobe. Use the same process every time. And sometimes the link changes, and other times it doesn't. I cannot seem to figure out why. I never delete the original file. Any suggestions?

When saving a file, some applications will first delete the original file and then save a new copy with the same name. This isn't anything you're doing, but how some applications save files. If Dropbox is fast enough to detect the deletion, the link to the file will change.

Perhaps try pausing the Dropbox sync while you're working on a file and see if the link still changes after the file is saved and you resume syncing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Barbara D.1 New member | Level 2
    filkin New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?